For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team dropped their second Capital Athletic Conference contest Tuesday afternoon, 2-0, to the University of Mary Washington on Liver Cancer Awareness Day despite a solid effort from St. Mary's defensive unit.
St. Mary's 0, Mary Washington 2
How It Happened
- Mary Washington put itself on the scoreboard early when Allegra Massey-Elim ripped a shot from the right side of the 16-yard circle and slipped just inside the left post at 6:08.
- The Eagles doubled up their lead at 21:38 on a well-executed penalty corner. Noor Varjabedian inserted the ball to Massey-Elim who passed it off to Lauren Hopkins for her ninth goal of the season.
- UMW was shutout in the second half as senior captain Alyssa Thompson (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) came up with eight saves while senior defender Sophie Michel (Westminster, Md./Westminster) and first-year midfielder Abbie Busch (Eldersburg, Md./Liberty) each contributed a defensive save to keep the Eagles scoreless over the final 35 minutes.
For the Seahawks (6-8, 1-2 CAC)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Thompson (9 saves, 2 goals allowed, 70:00)
- Defensive Saves: Michel (1); Busch (1)
- St. Mary's notched four shots in each half with half being on frame while adding six penalty corners.
For Mary Washington (8-5, 1-1 CAC)
- Scorers: Massey-Elim (1 goal, 1 assist); Hopkins (1 goal); Varjabedian (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Jessica Cavolt (4 saves, 0 goals allowed, 70:00)
- The Eagles collected 24 shots (13 on goal) and 11 corners.
- St. Mary's did a phenomenal job off the field, raising over $2,000 through T-shirt sales and donations for the American Liver Foundation (www.liverfoundation.org) in honor of the late Kim Benner, mother of first-year defender Janine Benner (Baltimore, Md./Sparrows Point), who passed away this summer from liver cancer.
- If you're interested in supporting the American Liver Foundation by purchasing a T-shirt or making a donation, please contact head coach Jessica Lanham at email@example.com.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 15 vs. Wesley College (3-10, 0-2 CAC) – Seahawk Stadium – CAC game – Senior Day - 1:00 p.m.
- The Seahawks' five seniors will be recognized prior to the start of Sunday's contest.
- St. Mary's holds an 11-4 all-time record against Wesley, having won the last three meetings and outscoring the Wolverines, 12-2, in those contests.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks