For Immediate Release · email@example.com
Bridgewater, Va. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team finished up their Virginia trip Sunday afternoon with a 2-0 loss to the host Bridgewater (Va.) College Eagles.
Bridgewater (Va.) 2, St. Mary's (Md.) 0
How It Happened
- Bridgewater struck early, taking a 1-0 lead at 1:29 on a penalty corner. Senior forward Madison Clement (Chesapeake, Va./Great Bridge) fed junior midfielder Elizabeth Washington (Stafford, Va./Brooke Point) for Washington's third goal of the season.
- Sophomore forward Tessa Tierson (Dover, Del./Dover) sent in a cross from the right side and first-year forward Jacqueline DiFulvio (Yorktown, Va./Tabb) was there to tap it in at 31:43.
- The Seahawks edged Bridgewater, 5-4, in shots and 5-3 in penalty corners in the second half but first-year goalie Ali Bishop (Felton, Del./Lake Forest) withstood the pressure, coming up with five saves.
For the Seahawks (1-4)
- Scorer: None.
- Goalkeeper: Alyssa Thompson (2 saves, 2 goals allowed, 70:00).
- Defensive Saves: Megan Moore (1), Nicole Lertora (1).
- St. Mary's finished the game with 11 shots and eight penalty corners.
For Bridgewater (2-2)
- Scorers: Washington (1 goal); DiFulvio (1 goal); Clement (1 assist); Tierson (1 assist).
- Goalkeeper: Bishop (9 saves, 0 goals allowed, 70:00).
- Defensive Save: Shannon Strosser (1).
- Bridgewater's victory today snaps its four-game skid against the Seahawks.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- 9/17 vs. Susquehanna - 1:00 p.m.
- The game will be played at Notre Dame Preparatory School in Towson, Maryland.
- In the only meeting between the two teams, Susquehanna posted a 2-0 win on its home field in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania in 2011.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks