ST. MARY'S CITY, Md. – St. Mary's College of Maryland baseball (8-22-2, 2-15-1 CAC) took on the No. 10 Salisbury University Sea Gulls (29-6-1, 16-2 CAC) on Tuesday (Apr. 23) afternoon in Capital Athletic Conference action. The Seahawks were swept by the Sea Gulls, dropping game one 10-9 and game two 21-4.
How It Happened (Game One)
- The Sea Gulls struck first in the back and forth contest, taking a 2-0 lead in the first inning. St. Mary's College responded in the second inning with one run to cut the Sea Gull lead in half. Dakota Merritt roped a RBI single and plated Holden Marshall for the score.
- Trailing 4-1 in the fifth, the Seahawks tacked on two runs to bring themselves within one run of the Sea Gulls. Dillon Waters was responsible for the two runs, mashing a two RBI single to left field. Next, the Seahawks went on to take a 6-5 lead in the sixth, thanks to a RBI double from Connor Coursey and an error committed by the Sea Gulls.
- Salisbury scored three runs in the seventh and ninth inning and held a 10-6 advantage over the Seahawks. Trailing by four runs, the Seahawks attempted the comeback and nearly pulled it off with three runs scored. Bowen Plagge started the scoring in the ninth inning with a two RBI double and Jay Hammett brought in another run when he grounded out to short.
Inside the Box Score (Game One)
- Plagge led the Seahawks offensively with two hits and two RBI in five trips to the plate. D. Waters also drove in two runs in game one.
- Jackson Edelman pitched in 6.1 innings of action, allowing four earned runs and striking out three batters. Ben Webster, Tim Hand, and Sam Roeder pitched in relief.
How It Happened (Game Two)
- St. Mary's College started the contest with a bang as Jay Hammett rocketed a solo home run to left field for the early lead. The Sea Gulls evened the score at one with a score in the second inning, but the Seahawks grabbed the lead once again with a sacrifice fly from D. Waters.
- Salisbury broke the game open in the fourth inning, pushing nine runs across the plate for a 10-2 lead. The Seahawks cut into the Sea Gull lead with two runs in the seventh inning. However, the Sea Gulls managed to add 11 more runs in the final few innings of the game.
Inside the Box Score (Game Two)
- Plagge led the Seahawks from the plate with three hits in four at-bats and one RBI. Tyler Taitano also contributed on the offensive end with three hits and two runs scored.
- Tyson Johnson started the game on the mound and was charged with the loss. The Seahawks used seven relief pitchers for the remainder of the contest.
Up Next for the Seahawks
Apr. 26 at Mary Washington - 3:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_baseball
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_Baseball | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks