For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team was in the mix the entire match as St. Mary's battled Goucher College in non-conference action Saturday afternoon. However, Goucher outlasted the Seahawks and held on for the 3-2 victory.
St. Mary's 2, Goucher 3 (25-23, 20-25, 20-25, 25-19, 13-15)
How It Happened
- Junior outside hitter Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) came off the bench to lead the Seahawks with 16 kills while adding five digs and two assists.
- Junior captain Hannah Krauss (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) contributed 10 kills and seven digs while junior captain Marissa Dangler (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) and sophomore defensive specialist Emily Benedict (Gaithersburg, Md./Poolesville) tallied double-digit digs with 16 and 10, respectively.
- After 12 tied scores and eight lead changes, St. Mary's claimed the first set, 25-23, following back-to-back kills by Kelley.
- The Gophers then staked a 2-1 lead with a pair of 25-20 victories.
- Goucher turned around a 4-3 deficit into a 10-point lead with a 15-4 run in the second set and then possessed the lead after the Seahawks closed the gap to 23-20.
- The third game was neck-in-neck until the Gophers broke the deadlock with a 6-1 push late in the set.
- St. Mary's grabbed control of the fourth set with a 9-3 run to gain a five-point lead before wrapping up the 25-19 triumph and forcing a deciding fifth set.
- The Seahawks hit over .300 and opened up with a 3-0 lead in the final game but Goucher answered with a 6-3 run to claim the lead for good. St. Mary's pulled within one five times but couldn't keep an offensive rhythm going.
Other Top Performers for the Seahawks (3-20)
- Mia Griffiths – 24 assists, 3 kills, 3 service aces
- St. Mary's hit close to .200 for the match, including .320 and .310 in the fourth and fifth sets while serving up eight aces.
For Goucher (5-15)
- Greta Coss – 24 kills, 14 digs, 4.0 total blocks, 3 solo blocks
- Sarah Weeden – 23 kills, 13 digs, 2 aces, 2 block assists
- Olivia Rhodes – 55 assists, 4 digs, 2 kills
- The Gopher notched a .270 attack percentage for the match and tallied 12.0 team blocks as Bianca Brown put up a solo block and six block assists.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 26 vs. Virginia Wesleyan University (16-8) – Michael P. O'Brien ARC Arena – 7:00 p.m.
- Oct. 27 vs. Southern Virginia University (17-7, 5-2 CAC) – Michael P. O'Brien ARC Arena – Capital Athletic Conference match – 7:00 p.m.
- Oct. 28 vs. Frostburg State University (15-10, 3-4 CAC) – Michael P. O'Brien ARC Arena – CAC match – Senior Day – 2:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks