For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Owings Mills, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team faced The Catholic University of America and host Stevenson University in non-conference action Saturday afternoon. St. Mary's saw its two-match win streak snapped by a pair of 3-0 losses.
St. Mary's 0, Catholic 3 (17-25, 25-27, 19-25)
How It Happened
- The Seahawks battled Catholic in all three sets, including forcing 13 tied scores and six lead changes in the second set.
- In the first set, St. Mary's pulled within 18-15 on a Cardinal attacking error before CUA closed out the match with a 7-2 push for the 1-0 lead.
- The Seahawks turned a 12-10 setback into a 19-15 advantage before the game became a back-and-forth affair until St. Mary's last lead of 25-24 on a kill by sophomore middle blocker Audrey McKay (Elkridge, Md./Howard). Two CUA kills and a Seahawk attack error sealed the 2-0 CUA lead.
- St. Mary's owned a 13-9 lead in the third set on a kill by junior outside hitter Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) but the Cardinals put the match away with a 16-6 run.
For St. Mary's (3-8)
- Grace Seifert – 9 kills, 2 digs
- Hannah Krauss – 9 digs, 8 kills, 2 block assists
- Mia Griffiths – 29 assists, 5 digs, 2 kills
- Marissa Dangler – 21 digs
- Adair Watson – 8 kills, 5 digs
- McKay – 3 kills, 2 block assists
- The Seahawks registered three aces, hit .148 for the match, and put up 4.0 team blocks.
For Catholic (10-7)
- Patricia Martinez – 14 kills, 14 digs
- Michelle Seals – 26 assists, 9 digs
- Brynn Cooley – 11 kills, 9 digs, 2 aces
- Christina Ciola – 13 digs
- The Cardinals recorded a .254 hitting percentage with four aces and 2.0 team blocks.
St. Mary's 0, Stevenson 3 (17-25, 17-25, 18-25)
How It Happened
- Stevenson, who received votes in this week's AVCA Division III Coaches Top 25, broke open a 10-10 tie in the first set with a 7-0 run and then closed out the set by outscoring the Seahawks, 8-7.
- After starting the second set down 5-0, St. Mary's rallied and claimed a 15-13 lead behind back-to-back kills from juniors Grace Seifert (Cambridge, Md./Salisbury Christian) and Mia Griffifths (La Plata, Md./La Plata). However, the Mustangs notched a 2-0 match lead by ending the set on a 12-2 run.
- The Seahawks held an early lead in the third set and then pulled within 17-16 with three straight points but five straight kills sealed the deal for Stevenson.
For the Seahawks (3-9)
- Meghan Kelley – 6 kills, 3 digs
- Adair Watson – 3 kills, 3 block assists, 2 digs
- Krauss – 6 kills, 2 digs, 2 block assists
- Griffiths – 19 assists, 2 digs, 2 block assists
- Dangler – 17 digs
- St. Mary's collected four aces and 6.0 team blocks.
For Stevenson (14-1)
- Annika Schwartz – 7 kills, 7 digs, 5 aces, 2 assists
- Moriah Savage – 7 kills, 4 block assists, 3 digs
- Julie Nightwine – 10 assists
- Sarah Riggin – 9 digs
- Victoria Prokic – 5 block assists, 4 kills, 3 digs
- The Mustangs served up 11 aces while notching 8.0 team blocks and hitting .185 for the match.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 26 vs. Randolph-Macon College (11-3) – Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena – Home-opener – 7:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks