For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
Gettysburg, Pa. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team opened up their 2018-19 campaign Saturday afternoon as the Seahawks visited the Bullets of Gettysburg College for a non-conference showdown. St. Mary's (0-1) came up short in a 6-3 loss to the Bullets (3-0) in Greg Shedd's return as the Seahawks' head coach.
St. Mary's 3, Gettysburg 6
How It Happened
- The Seahawks claimed a 1-0 lead as Gettysburg forfeited No. 3 doubles.
- Junior Claire Bodine (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) and sophomore Alden Grosh (Hagerstown, Md./Smithsburg) teamed up to take on the Bullets' top pairing, Maria Martinovic and Theresa Blickenstaff, but fell, 8-5, in a hard-fought match.
- Gettysburg carried a 2-1 lead into singles play with an 8-2 win at No. 2 doubles.
- St. Mary's pulled even at 2-2 as the Bullets forfeited No. 6 singles.
- Grosh notched the Seahawks' third point at No. 3 singles as she outlasted Alexis Rinker, 6-4, 7-6 (9-7).
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 6 vs. Catholic (2-1) – Somerset Tennis Complex – 1:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks