For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team posted their first Capital Athletic Conference win of the season Saturday afternoon on Senior Day. St. Mary's (6-3, 1-1 CAC) blanked Penn State Harrisburg (3-7, 0-1 CAC), 9-0.
Before the match began, the team's five seniors – Melissa Barall (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake), Savannah Bergen (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown), Chelsea English (Clarkesville, Md./River Hill), Cristal Garcia-Lara (Annapolis, Md./Old Mill), and Raziela Manangan (Baltimore, Md./Institute of Notre Dame) – were honored for their dedication to the program.
St. Mary's 9, Harrisburg 0
How It Happened
- Barall and English claimed an 8-2 victory at No. 1 doubles while Bergen and first-year Alden Grosh (Hagerstown, Md./Smithsburg) took an 8-0 win over Sheiva Ansary and Maria Torre at No. 2 doubles.
- Garcia-Lara got in on the action as she teamed up with Manangan to defeat Shelia Ansary and Abigail Clifford, 8-2.
- The Seahawks swept singles play with every member winning in straight sets.
- English remains undefeated in singles action with a 6-0 record as she shut out Sheiva Ansary at No. 5 singles.
- Barall picked up her team-leading ninth victory as she blanked Sydney Ney at No. 1 singles
- First-year Sophie Gary (Germantown, Md./Holton Arms) and sophomore Claire Bodine (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) contributed to the win as well.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 30 at Salisbury University (8-3, 1-0 CAC) – Salisbury, Md. – CAC match – 4:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks