For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – Senior captain Melissa Barall (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) posted a match-clinching win at No. 1 singles to lead the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team (2-1) to a spring season-opening 5-4 win over the Yellow Jackets of Randolph-Macon College (1-1) on Sunday.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's staked a 2-1 lead with victories at the No. 2 and No. 3 flights.
- Sophomore Claire Bodine (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) and first-year Alden Grosh (Hagerstown, Md./Smithsburg) teamed up to top the Yellow Jackets' Isabel Wadsworth and Andrea Wine, 8-6, at No. 3 doubles to give the Seahawks a 1-0 advantage.
- St. Mary's went up 2-0 following senior Raziela Manangan (Baltimore, Md./Institute of Notre Dame) and first-year Sophia Gary's (Germantown, Md./Holton-Arms) 8-6 win over Randolph-Macon's Gaby Tersigni and Landon Aud at the second doubles flight.
- Randolph-Macon claimed a 4-2 advantage with wins at No. 3 and No. 6 singles before senior captain Chelsea English (Clarksville, Md./River Hill) and Gary posted triumphs at No. 2 and No. 5 singles to set up Barall's heroics.
- Barall notched a straight-set win, 6-4, 6-1 after rallying from 4-3 down in the first set.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 2 at Randolph College (2-1) – Lynchburg, Va. – 2:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks