For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · email@example.com
Fredericksburg, Va. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team finished the fall portion of the 2017-18 season at the 2017 ITA Southeast Regional Women's Tennis Championships hosted by the University of Mary Washington on September 23-24.
- Senior captain Melissa Barall (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) had a big win in the championship singles draw, knocking off ninth-seeded Kimberly Zou of Johns Hopkins University. Barall took the match in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2.
- Senior Savannah Bergen (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown) opened up her weekend with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Ranita Opoku-Sarto of Randolph College in the Blue 4 singles draw.
- Barall and senior captain Chelsea English (Clarksville, Md./River Hill) came away with two more wins in the consolation round of the Blue 1 doubles draw.
- The duo advanced to the consolation finals behind 8-4 wins over Salisbury University's Sage Cole and Sydney Soto and Swarthmore College's Rachel Hechinger and Rachel Bronkema.
- Sophomore Claire Bodine (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) and first-year Alden Grosh (Hagerstown, Md./Smithsburg) ended their fall on a high note as they beat Stevenson University's Kirstyn Davidson and Christina Endy 9-8 (3) in the consolation semifinals of the Blue 2 doubles draw. The tandem advanced to the consolation finals as well by way of a default win.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- This concludes the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign for St. Mary's. The Seahawks will be back in action this spring, starting February 24 against Roanoke College at the Somerset Tennis Complex.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks