For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team started out the 2017-18 season at home against the Hood College Blazers Saturday afternoon and came away with a 7-2 non-conference victory.
St. Mary's 7, Hood 2
How It Happened
- Senior captains Melissa Barall (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) and Chelsea English (Clarksville, Md./River Hill) got things going early for the Seahawks by topping Hood's Michelle Shedd and Sophie Smith, 8-0, at No. 1 doubles.
- Hood claimed No. 2 doubles to even the match at 1-1 but St. Mary's earned a default win at No. 3 doubles to stake a 2-1 advantage heading into singles action.
- Barall won her No. 1 singles match against Shedd in straight sets without dropping a single game, 6-0, 6-0.
- The Seahawks jumped out to a 5-1 lead as senior Raziela Manangan (Baltimore, Md./Notre Dame) and Bergen topped their opponents in straight sets at No. 2 and No. 4 singles, respectively.
- Megan Carter posted the lone singles win for the Blazers with a 6-0, 7-5 victory at No. 3 singles.
- Once again, St. Mary's picked up default wins at No. 5 and No. 6 singles.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 17 at The Catholic University of America – Washington, D.C. – 12:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks