For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
Middletown, Pa. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team (6-6, 2-2 CAC) posted a 9-0 shutout over Penn State Harrisburg (1-12, 0-5 CAC) Saturday afternoon in Capital Athletic Conference action. The win moved the Seahawks into fourth place in the conference standings with three more matches remaining.
St. Mary's 9, Penn State Harrisburg 0
- Team captains Melissa Barall (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) and Marissa Romanek (Sunderland, Md./Huntingtown) had the toughest match of the day for the Seahawks, defeating Harrisburg's top duo with 9-7 decision for their second straight win and a 5-5 dual match record.
- Juniors Raziela Manangan (Baltimore, Md./Institute of Notre Dame) and Chelsea English (Clarksville, Md./River Hill) also won their second straight match, winning 8-1 at No. 2 doubles.
- Junior Savannah Bergen (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown) and first-year Claire Bodine (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) would sweep their opponents, 8-0, to move to a 5-2 dual match record.
- Barall, Romanek, English, Manangan, and Bergen all picked up their second consecutive singles wins while Bergen notched her team-leading seventh win of the season.
- The Seahawks dropped only 13 of 72 games played in sweeping singles action.
Up Next for the Seahawks
Apr. 9 at York College of Pennsylvania at 9:00 a.m. (York, Pa.)
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis