For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · email@example.com
Hilton Head Island, S.C. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team won their second straight non-conference road matchup, 6-3, against the Olivet College Comets while on their spring break trip in Hilton Head Island.
St. Mary's 6, Olivet 3
- The Seahawks took a 2-1 lead into singles action with wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles.
- Team captains Marissa Romanek (Sunderland, Md./Huntingtown) and Melissa Barall (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) scored another solid win as they beat Maddy Drikakis and BreAnne Rudlaff, 8-2, at No. 1 doubles for their second straight victory.
- At No. 3 doubles, junior Savannah Bergen (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown) and first-year Claire Bodine (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) competed in what was the most exciting match of the day for the Seahawks. The duo would top Miranda Pier and Isabel Snyder by taking the tiebreaker with a 7-4 margin for the 9-8 (4) victory. It was the duo's team-leading third win of the season.
- Junior Raziela Manangan (Baltimore, Md./Institute of Notre Dame) contributed in the win by defeating Isabel Snyder, 6-2, 6-4 at No. 4 singles for her second consecutive victory.
- Barall, Romanek, and Bergen would all win their singles matches in straight sets for their second wins in a row.
- Bodine faced a tough opponent in Rudlaff at No. 3 singles. Rudlaff claimed the first set, 7-6 (4), but Bodine responded with a 6-4 win in the second. Rudlaff would then outlast Bodine, 10-5, in the third-set tiebreaker.
Up Next for the Seahawks
Mar. 15 vs. Marietta College at 2:15 p.m. (PTR Spring TennisFest – Hilton Head Island, S.C.)
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis