For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
Chestertown, Md. – Junior Savannah Bergen (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown) was part of both points for the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team Saturday afternoon as the Seahawks dropped a 7-2 non-conference decision to No. 40 Washington College.
St. Mary's 2, Washington College 7
- Team captains Marissa Romanek (Sunderland, Md./Huntingtown) and Melissa Barall (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) battled at No. 1 doubles but were shutout, 8-0.
- The team of juniors Chelsea English (Clarksville, Md./River Hill) and Raziela Manangan (Baltimore, Md./Institute of Notre Dame) would also come up a little short, 8-1, in their matchup at No. 2 doubles.
- Bergen and first-year Claire Bodine (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) picked up the lone doubles win with an 8-3 victory to improve to 2-0 in dual matches.
- Barall, Romanek, Bodine, Manangan, and English would all come up short in their singles matches.
- The bright spot on the day came from Bergen as she would defeat Washington College's Mariah Thomas, 8-1, to improve to 2-2 on the season.
Up Next for the Seahawks
March 10 vs. Salisbury University at 3:30 p.m. (Capital Athletic Conference opener)
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis