St. Marys Blanks Trinity (D.C.)
St. Mary’s City, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s tennis team returned to their winning ways as the Seahawks notched their fourth shutout of the season with a 9-0 blanking of Trinity (D.C.) University Wednesday afternoon.
The tandem of sophomores Aviva Brown (Pasadena, Md./Old Mill) and Alli Crawford (Frederick, Md./Urbana) won their second straight doubles match of the season with an 8-1 win over juniors Grace Petit (Queens, N.Y.) and Cynthia Reyes (Bronx, N.Y.).
Sophomore Jackie Brady (Thurmont, Md./Catoctin) stretched her win streak to three with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over junior Paola Flores (Hyattsville, Md.) while first-year Chelsea Bradcovich (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) recorded her team-leading 10th win with a 6-0, 6-2 victory over sophomore Mary Ataku (Washington, D.C.) at No. 5 singles.
Sophomore Kathleen Ramsey (Dunkirk, Md./Northern) seems unstoppable at No. 6 singles as Ramsey extended her win streak to nine straight with a 6-0, 6-0 win over first-year Shiela Jean Baptiste (Randolph, Mass.). Ramsey now owns a second-best singles mark of 9-1.
St. Mary’s will be back in action tomorrow as the Seahawks travel to Staunton, Va. to take on Mary Baldwin College in non-conference action at 3:30 pm.
Tennis Match Results
Mar 31, 2010 at St. Mary's City, Md. (Somerset Tennis Complex)
St. Mary's (Md.) 9, Trinity (D.C.) 0
1. Michelle Compton (SMC) def. Rebecca Auleus (TRIN) 6-0, 6-0
2. Beth Handy (SMC) def. Lakie Meriwether (TRIN) 6-0, 6-0
3. Jackie Brady (SMC) def. Paola Flores (TRIN) 6-1, 6-1
4. Marie Rau (SMC) def. Cynthia Reyes (TRIN) 6-0, 6-1
5. Chelsea Bradcovich (SMC) def. Mary Ataku (TRIN) 6-0, 6-2
6. Kathleen Ramsey (SMC) def. Shiela Jean Baptiste (TRIN) 6-0, 6-0
1. Chelsea Bradcovich/Michelle Compton (SMC) def. Rebecca Auleus/Paola Flores (TRIN) 8-0
2. Beth Handy/Shelby Mullennix (SMC) def. Mary Ataku/Lakie Meriwether (TRIN) 8-0
3. Aviva Brown/Allison Crawford (SMC) def. Grace Petit/Cynthia Reyes (TRIN) 8-1
Trinity (D.C.) 1-3
St. Mary's (Md.) 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles (1, 2, 4, 3, 5, 6)