St. Marys Notches First CAC Win
Stevenson, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s tennis team registered their fifth shutout of the season as the Seahawks blanked Stevenson University, 9-0, for their first Capital Athletic Conference win Saturday afternoon.
Senior captain Michelle Compton (Havre de Grace, Md./Tome) and first-year Chelsea Bradcovich (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) joined forces for their third straight win with an 8-2 victory over junior Julie Strong (Bel Air, Md./C. Milton Wright) and first-year Wendy Ogbolu (Perry Hall, Md./Perry Hall) at No. 1 doubles.
Compton, Bradcovich and first-year Beth Handy (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air) each picked up their third straight win at No. 1, No. 5, and No. 2 singles, respectively.
Sophomore Kathleen Ramsey (Dunkirk, Md./Northern) rolled to her 10th straight win and a 10-1 season record with a 6-0, 6-0 victory over first-year Ashleigh Smith (Kingsville, Md./Mercy).
St. Mary’s will be back in action next Tuesday, April 6 as the Seahawks host No. 16 University of Mary Washington in Capital Athletic Conference action at 4:00 pm at Somerset Tennis Complex.
Tennis Match Results
Apr 03, 2010 at Stevenson, Md. (Mustangs Tennis Facility)
St. Mary's (Md.) 9, Stevenson 0
1. Michelle Compton (SMC) def. Julie Strong (STE) 6-1, 6-1
2. Beth Handy (SMC) def. Wendy Ogbolu (STE) 6-1, 6-0
3. Katie Lackler (SMC) def. Sam Baugher (STE) 6-0, 6-0
4. Marie Rau (SMC) def. Michelle Huber (STE) 6-3, 6-0
5. Chelsea Bradcovich (SMC) def. Rachel Mullett (STE), by walkover
6. Kathleen Ramsey (SMC) def. Ashleigh Smith (STE) 6-0, 6-0
1. Michelle Compton/Chelsea Bradcovich (SMC) def. Wendy Ogbolu/Julie Strong (STE) 8-2
2. Beth Handy/Katie Lackler (SMC) def. Sam Baugher/Michelle Huber (STE) 8-1
3. Shelby/Mullennix/Marie Rau (SMC) def. Rachel Mullett/Ashleigh Smith (STE), by walkover
St. Mary's (Md.) 9-5, 1-2 CAC
Stevenson 1-3, 0-2 CAC
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 1, 3); Singles (3, 1, 2, 4, 5, 6)