Seahawks Lose Hard-Fought Match at Catholic
Washington, D.C. - The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team started the 2008-09 campaign with a competitive effort at Catholic University Friday afternoon. The Seahawks (0-1) succumbed to a 5-4 setback to Catholic (2-0) in non-conference action.
St. Mary's held a 2-1 advantage heading into singles action after collecting wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. The No. 2 tandem of sophomores Monica Powell (Rockville, Md./Rockville) and Colleen O'Neil (Jefferson, Md./Brunswick) disposed of junior Caitlin Dunn (Hanover, Pa./Delone) and Allison Tontz, 8-1. Freshmen Katie Lackler (Ellicott City, Md./Marriotts Ridge) and Randi Cropper (California, Md./Leonardtown) then followed up with an 8-3 victory at No. 3 doubles over junior Seda Ambartsumian (Potomac, Md./Winston Churchill) and Sarah Luffy.
The Cardinals then responded with four straight singles wins to build a 5-2 margin before Lackler and senior Jerilyn Rogalski (Amherst, Mass./Amherst Regional) claimed the last two singles matches.
Lackler posted a 6-3, 7-6 (9-7) decision over Ambartsumian at No. 4 singles, while Rogalski picked up a 6-0, 6-2 triumph over Luffy at No. 6 singles.
The Seahawks return to action tomorrow when St. Mary's hosts Lancaster Bible College in non-conference action at 1:00 at the Somerset Tennis Complex.
Tennis Match Results
9/19/2008 at Washington, D.C.
1. Rachel Tenuta (CUA) def. Sarah Weisse (SMC) 6-3, 6-1
2. Caitlin Dunn (CUA) def. Michelle Compton (SMC) 6-1, 6-1
3. Mary Wargo (CUA) def. Monica Powell (SMC) 6-0, 6-2
4. Katie Lackler (SMC) def. Seda Ambartsumian (CUA) 6-3, 7-6 (9-7)
5. Allison Tontz (CUA) def. Colleen O'Neil (SMC) 6-4, 6-1
6. Jerilyn Rogalski (SMC) def. Sarah Luffy (CUA) 6-0, 6-2
1. Rachel Tenuta/Mary Wargo (CUA) def. Sarah Weisse/Michelle Compton (SMC) 8-4
2. Monica Powell/Colleen O'Neil (SMC) def. Caitlin Dunn/Allison Tontz (CUA) 8-1
3. Katie Lackler/Randi Cropper (SMC) def. Seda Ambartsumian/Sarah Luffy (CUA) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,3,1,5,6,4)