For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's swim team opened their 2018-19 season with a dominant win over Marymount (Va.) University Saturday afternoon. The Seahawks (1-0) beat the Saints (0-1), 133-67, as three Seahawks collected three wins each.
St. Mary's 133, Marymount 67
How It Happened
- First-year Rileigh Krell (Baltimore, Md./Sparrows Point), senior captain Hailley Baughman (Lineboro, Md./Manchester Valley), junior Carolyn Sutton (Laurel, Md./Laurel) and sophomore Brenna Litynski (Hollywood, Md./Home-schooled) all started the season off with a win in the 200 medley relay by swimming a 1:54.37.
- First-years Leila McCloskey (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown) and Bailey Edgren (Canton, Conn./Canton), junior Becca Sonnenberg (Derwood, Md./Magruder), and senior captain Samantha Schoenecker (Dallas, Texas/Wilson) took second in the 200 medley relay in 1:58.96.
- Sophomore Anna LaPoint (Fairport, N.Y./Fairport) picked up right where she left off last season, finishing first in the 1,000 freestyle with a time of 11:20.77, which was 17 seconds ahead of the second-place finisher. LaPoint also placed first in the 200 individual medley with a 2:18.14. She continued her strong day with yet another first in the 500 freestyle with a time of 5:31.46.
- Litynski swam a 1:58.53 in the 200 freestyle, which was good enough for first.
- Krell also contributed by placing first in the 100 butterfly by swimming a 1:02.82. Again, the first-year came through with a first-place finish in the 100 backstroke in 1:03.67.
- McCloskey, Sutton, Schoenecker, and Litynski concluded the meet with a win in the 200 freestyle relay by swimming a 1:31.21.
- Junior Holly Smith (Calne, England/Skyline [Wash.]) picked up a pair of second-place finishes in the 200 free (2:08.54) and the 100 freestyle (58.29). Smith was also third in the 100 breaststroke (1:13.44).
- Sutton grabbed second in the 50 freestyle in 26.11 while Edgren went second in the 200 IM in 2:24.39.
- Sonnenberg placed second in the 100 fly in 1:05.50 while junior Angela Ross (Perry Hall, Md./Perry Hall) took second in the 100 back in 1:05.84. Ross also placed third in the 50 free in 27.57.
- Baughman tallied a second-place finish in the 100 breaststroke in 1:09.04 while sophomore Elizabeth Johnson (Salisbury, Md./Mardela Springs, Md.) notched two third-place finishes in the 1,000 free (12:28.93) and the 500 free (6:02.73).
- First-year Christina Ruebeck-Bonass (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) garnered a third-place in the 100 free in 1:04.22.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 2 at Randolph-Macon (0-1) – Ashland, Va. – 5:00 p.m.
- Nov. 3 vs. York (Pa.) (2-2, 1-0 CAC) – Aquatics Center at MPOBARC (CAC meet) – 1:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming
Twitter: @smcseahawks | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks