For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Seahawk Women's Swimming Takes Down Salisbury
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's swim team took on the Sea Gulls of Salisbury University on Saturday in a Capital Athletic Conference dual meet. St. Mary's (3-7, 2-3 CAC) ended the regular season with a dominant 129-76 victory over Salisbury (2-9, 0-5 CAC) as the Seahawks won eight of 11 events.
Before the meet got underway, the team's three seniors – captains Emma Green () and Rachel Sonnenberg (Derwood, Md./Magruder) and Nicole Lertora (Olney, Md./Blake) – were honored for their dedication to the team.
St. Mary's 129, Salisbury 76
How It Happened
- The day started off with sophomore Carolyn Sutton (Laurel, Md./Laurel), junior Hailley Baughman (Lineboro, Md./Manchester Valley), sophomore Becca Sonnenberg (Derwood, Md./Magruder), and R. Sonnenberg taking first in the 200 medley relay in 1:57.34.
- First-year Anna LaPoint (Fairport, N.Y./Fairport) followed up in the next event with a first-place finish as well. LaPoint claimed top honors in the 1000 freestyle in 11:17.95. She also picked up second in the 100 backstroke by swimming a 1:03.31.
- R. Sonnenberg continued her strong day by taking first in the 200 freestyle as she swam a 2:04.17. She also took first in the 500 freestyle with a time of 5:40.73. Sutton contributed by winning the 50 freestyle with a time of 26.06 and then going on to earn another first-place finish in the 100 butterfly by swimming a 1:04.38.
- Baughman posted a winning time of 1:05.76 in the 100 individual medley. She claimed another first-place finish in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:09.57. The relay team of LaPoint, junior Caroline Petosa (Easton, Md./Saints Peter and Paul), Lertora, and junior captain Samantha Schoenecker (Dallas, Texas/Woodrow Wilson) took first in the 200 freestyle relay in 1:49.85.
- First-year Elizabeth Johnson (Salisbury, Md./Mardela Springs) got off to a strong start by finishing second in the 1000 freestyle with a 12:11.20. Johnson also took second in the 500 freestyle by swimming a 6:02.19. B. Sonnenberg went on to earn second place in the 100 butterfly with a time of 1:04.86 while placing third in the 200 freestyle in 2:12.95.
- Schoenecker finished second in the 100 freestyle with a time of 1:00.20 followed by Petosa in third in 1:00.43. Schoenecker was also third in the 50 freestyle (27.88) while Lertora contributed on her senior day by swimming a 1:07.27 in the 100 backstroke for third place.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 22-25 – CAC Championships – Michael P. O'Brien Aquatics Center – 10:00 a.m./6:00 p.m. **Finals start at 5:45 p.m. on Feb. 24 and 4:30 p.m. on Feb. 25. No preliminaries on Feb. 22.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks