For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
Chesterfield, Va. – Junior Hailley Baughman (Lineboro, Md./Manchester Valley) paced the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's swim team on the final day of the Yellow Jacket Invitational hosted by Randolph-Macon College at the Greater Richmond Aquatic Center. Baughman grabbed three Top 5 finishes in leading the Seahawks to a sixth-place finish on Saturday.
St. Mary's – 6th of 11 with 740 points
How It Happened
- St. Mary's took sixth overall after two days of competition with 740 points, besting eighth-place Marymount (Va.) University by nearly 200 points.
- The Catholic University of America overtook Division II Catawba College for the team title with 1,307 points while Catawba finished second with 1,186 point. Host Randolph-Macon rounded out the Top 3 teams with 1,082 points.
- Junior Hailley Baughman (Lineboro, Md./Manchester Valley) helped the Seahawks individually by coming in fourth in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:08.38. Baughman also finished fifth in the 200 breaststroke with a time of 2:32.48.
- First-year Alekx Grcic (North Potomac, Md./Quince Orchard), junior Elizabeth Valenti (Gaithersburg, Md./Quince Orchard), senior captain Rachel Sonnenberg (Derwood, Md./Magruder), and first-year Anna LaPoint (Fairport, N.Y./Fairport) came in fourth in the 800 freestyle relay with a time of 8:11.20.
- The second day of the meet had begun with sophomore Carolyn Sutton (Laurel, Md./Laurel), Baughman, R. Sonnenberg, and Grcic coming in fifth in the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:53.46.
- Sutton also pitched in as she finished fifth out of 37 swimmers in the 100 backstroke by swimming a 1:02.70. She also swam a 2:16.87 in the 200 backstroke, which was good enough for fifth.
- Valenti finished sixth in the 1,650 freestyle with a time of 18:21.86. She also swam a 4:56.36 in the 400 individual medley which put her in seventh out of 19 competitors.
- The Seahawks would finish their second day by finishing sixth in the 400 freestyle relay in 3:44.49 behind the efforts of Grcic, Valenti, R. Sonnenberg, and LaPoint.
- LaPoint contributed by finishing eighth in a field of 48 swimmers in the 100 freestyle with a time of 55.66.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 20 vs. No. 24 University of Mary Washington (3-0) – Michael P. O'Brien Aquatics Center – Capital Athletic Conference meet
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks