For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's swim team hosted the Yellow Jackets of Randolph-Macon College Friday evening in their home-opener. St. Mary's (1-1) claimed its first victory of the season, posting a 114-91 non-conference win over R-MC (0-3).
St. Mary's 114, Randolph-Macon 91
How It Happened
- The Seahawks won the first four events of the evening, finishing with nine first-place finishes.
- Sophomore Carolyn Sutton (Laurel, Md./Laurel) paced the team with three gold medals – two relays and one individual – while first-year Anna LaPoint (Fairport, N.Y./Fairport) added three individual golds.
- St. Mary's started off strong by winning the 200 medley relay as Sutton, junior Hailley Baughman (Lineboro, Md./Manchester Valley), senior captain Rachel Sonnenberg (Derwood, Md./Magruder), and junior Rachel Yates (Stevensville, Md./Kent Island) posted a time of 1:56:28.
- Junior Elizabeth Valenti (Gaithersburg, Md./Quince Orchard) came up next in the 1,000 freestyle, taking the top spot with a season-best time of 11:28:84. Valenti also claimed third in the 200 individual medley in 2:26.11.
- LaPoint was the top swimmer in the 200 freestyle as she came in with a time of 2:02.28. She also captured the 100 (56.70) and 500 (5:26.51) freestyle events.
- First-year Alekxandra Grcic (North Potomac, Md./Quince Orchard) took home the top spot and set a personal record in the 50 freestyle with a time of 26.07. The Seahawks swept the 50 freestyle as Yates came in second (26.68) and Baughman finished third (26.85).
- Sutton picked up her individual gold medal in the 100 backstroke as she swam a 1:04.78.
- Baughman continued her solid start to the season by finishing first in the 100 breaststroke in 1:09.93.
- R. Sonnenberg led St. Mary's in the 100 butterfly with a third-place finish in 1:04.44.
- St. Mary's closed the day out with a win in the 200 freestyle relay. Grcic, Yates, R. Sonnenberg and Sutton swam a 1:44.28 to seal the win for the Seahawks.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 4 at York College of Pennsylvania (3-0, 1-0 CAC) with Ursinus College (1-0) – York, Pa. – 1:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks