For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · email@example.com
Arlington, Va. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's swim team opened up their 2017-18 campaign with a Capital Athletic Conference dual meet at Marymount (Va.) University. St. Mary's (0-1, 0-1 CAC) dropped a 109-96 decision to the Saints (1-0, 1-0 CAC).
St. Mary's 96, Marymount 109
How It Happened
- Although St. Mary's did not come away with the overall win, they brought home a couple of relay wins and first-year Anna LaPoint (Fairport, N.Y./Fairport) had a big debut for the Seahawks.
- LaPoint had a huge day for the Seahawks in her debut. Not only did she anchor the winning 200 medley and 200 freestyle relays but she also captured the 200 freestyle in 2:03.08.
- St. Mary's claimed the 200 yard medley relay in 1:54.65 behind the efforts of sophomore Carolyn Sutton (Laurel, Md./Laurel), junior Hailley Baughman (Lineboro, Md./Manchester Valley), first-year Alekxandra Grcic (North Potomac, Md./Quince Orchard) and LaPoint (Fairport, N.Y./Fairport).
- The second relay that St. Mary's won was the 200 freestyle relay. Sutton, Grcic, and LaPoint teamed up with junior Rachel Yates (Stevensville, Md./Kent Island) to swim a time of 1:44.29, besting Marymount by seven seconds.
- Junior Elizabeth Valenti (Gaithersburg, Md./Quince Orchard) picked up a pair of second-place finishes in the 1000 and 500 freestyle events in 11:33.41 and 5:44.80, respectively.
- Grcic individually as well in her collegiate debut with a second-place finish in the 50 freestyle in 26.21 while senior captain Rachel Sonnenberg (Derwood, Md./Magruder) grabbed a silver medal in the 100 butterfly in 1:05.67.
- Baughman added a second-place finish in the 100 breaststroke in 1:09.98 while leading St. Mary's in the 200 individual medley with a third-place finish in 2:26.41.
- Sutton earned a second-place finish in the 100 backstroke in 1:04.95 while Yates took third in the 100 freestyle with a time of 59.85.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 3 vs. Randolph-Macon College (0-2) – MPOBARC Aquatics Center – 5:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks