For Immediate Release · By Monica Vega · email@example.com
Salisbury, Md. – Sophomore Hailley Baughman (Lineboro, Md./Manchester Valley) would lead the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's swim team against the Salisbury University Sea Gulls on Saturday afternoon, earning two golds in the Seahawks' regular-season finale.
St. Mary's – 104, Salisbury – 156
How It Happened
- Baughman would earn gold in the 100-meter breaststroke, finishing with a time of 1:21.53. She would also take top honors in the 200-meter breaststroke with a time of 2:59.53.
- Baughman would also be a member of the second-place 200-meter medley relay (2:11.75) along with first-year Carolyn Sutton (Laurel, Md./Laurel), and team captains Rachel Sonnenberg (Derwood, Md./Magruder) and Lizzie Straathof (Bethesda, Md./Walter Johnson).
- Sophomore Elizabeth Valenti (Gaithersburg, Md./Quince Orchard) would take gold in the 800-meter freestyle, leading with a time of 10:12.54. She would also take second in the 400-meter freestyle with a time of 4:57.21 followed by senior captain Samantha Liming (Silver Spring, Md./John F. Kennedy) who took third in 5:08.57. Liming also placed third in the 800-meter freestyle in 10:25.48.
- Valenti also notched a second-place finish in the 400-meter individual medley in 5:42.75 followed by R. Sonnenberg in third in 5:45.57.
- Straathof would earn nine points with a first-place finish in the 50-meter freestyle as she won the race in 29.11. Sophomore Rachel Yates (Stevensville, Md./Kent Island) followed in third in 30.63. Both Straathof and Yates competed in the 100-meter freestyle. Straathof would take second, coming in at 1:04.44 while Yates earned third with a time of 1:07.51.
- Straathof anchored the second-place 200-meter freestyle relay (2:03.46) with junior Emma Green (Bowie, Md./Elizabeth Seton), Liming, and Yates.
- R. Sonnenberg grabbed a pair of second-place finishes in the 200-meter freestyle (2:22.38) and the 200-meter butterfly (2:46.14) while first-year Becca Sonnenberg (Derwood, Md./Magruder) finished third in the 200 butterfly in 2:54.68.
- Sutton tallied third-place finishes in the 100-meter backstroke (1:13.26) and the 100-meter butterfly (1:15.09) while first-year Angela Ross (Perry Hall, Md./Perry Hall) paced the Seahawks in the 200-meter backstroke with a third-place finish in 2:39.67.
Up Next for the Seahawks
The Seahawks will be training for the next three weeks in preparation for the 2017 Capital Athletic Conference Men's and Women's Swimming Championships being hosted by St. Mary's on February 17-19.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, #SMCMswimming, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming