For Immediate Release · Saturday, January 14, 2017 · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's swimming team competed against the No. 21 University of Mary Washington Eagles on Saturday in Capital Athletic Conference action.
St. Mary's (1-7, 0-4 CAC) – 46, No. 21 Mary Washington (5-1, 3-0 CAC) – 215
How It Happened
- The Seahawks would compete in 14 events against Mary Washington.
- Sophomore Hailley Baughman (Lineboro, Md./Manchester Valley) notched St. Mary's highest finish of the afternoon as Baughman placed second in the 200 breaststroke in 2:39.29. She would also lead the Seahawks in the 100 breaststroke, taking third in 1:12.01 and earning three points for the Seahawks.
- St. Mary's kicked off the dual meet with the 200 medley relay, taking the third-place spot as first-year Carolyn Sutton (Laurel, Md./Laurel), Baughman, junior captain Rachel Sonnenberg (Derwood, Md./Magruder), and senior captain Lizzie Straathof (Bethesda, Md. / Walter Johnson) swam a time of 1:57.72.
- Junior Emma Green (Bowie, Md./Elizabeth Seton) would also earn significant points for the Seahawks, swimming the 1,650 freestyle in 19:46.89 for third place. Green would be followed by senior captain Samantha Liming (Silver Spring, Md./John F. Kennedy), who claimed the fourth-place spot with a time of 20:07.21.
- Green would also lead the Seahawks in the 500 freestyle, claiming her second bronze medal in 5:49.84.
- Straathof would be the Seahawks' standout in the 50 freestyle, placing third with a time of 26.75.
- Straathof would also lead off the third-place 200 freestyle relay, swimming alongside sophomore Samantha Schoenecker (Dallas, Texas/Woodrow Wilson), Baughman, and Sutton for a time of 1:48.37.
- R. Sonnenberg collected a pair of fourth-place finishes in the 200 freestyle (2:09.82) and the 200 butterfly (2:31.23) before coming in fifth in the 100 butterfly (1:06.11).
- First-year Becca Sonnenberg (Derwood, Md./Magruder) claimed a fourth-place finish in the 400 individual medley (5:22.80) before taking fifth behind her sister in the 200 butterfly (2:33.23).
- Sutton went fourth in the 100 backstroke in 1:05.94 while leading the Seahawks with a fifth-place finish in the 200 backstroke (2:21.19).
- Sophomore Rachel Yates (Stevensville, Md./Kent Island) led St. Mary's in the 100 freestyle with a fifth-place finish in 1:01.33.
Up Next for the Seahawks
The Seahawks will be on the road two weeks from now when St. Mary's travels to Salisbury University on Saturday, January 28 for the regular-season finale at 1:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, #SMCMswimming, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming