For Immediate Release · By Monica Vega · email@example.com
Frostburg, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's swim team (0-4, 0-3 CAC) fell to Frostburg State University (6-3, 1-2 CAC) on Saturday afternoon in a Capital Athletic Conference dual meet.
Frostburg State – 148, St. Mary's (Md.) – 113
How It Happened
- The Seahawks would walk away with four gold medals as Frostburg State claimed its first-ever conference dual meet win.
- St. Mary's would start the day earning gold in the 200 medley relay as first-year Carolyn Sutton (Laurel, Md./Laurel), sophomore Hailley Baughman (Lineboro, Md./Manchester Valley), junior captain Rachel Sonnenberg (Derwood, Md./Magruder), and senior captain Lizzie Straathof (Bethesda, Md./Walter Johnson) swam a time of 2:11.46.
- R. Sonnenberg claimed two golds for the Seahawks. The Sonnenberg sisters led a sweep of the 200 butterfly as R. Sonnenberg finished first in 2:58.10 while Becca Sonnenberg took second (2:58.10) and first-year Angela Ross (Perry Hall, Md./Perry Hall) came in third (2:58.44).
- R. Sonnenberg's third gold came in the 100 butterfly as she touched the wall in 1:14.05.
- Junior Emma Green (Bowie, Md./Elizabeth Seton) would take nine points for the Seahawks in the 800 freestyle, clocking a 10:18.04 for the team's fourth gold medal.
- Straathof would capture second place in the 200 freestyle with a time of 2:19.46 while sophomore Elizabeth Valenti (Gaithersburg, Md./Quince Orchard) would follow behind earning the third spot in 2:22.28.
- Baughman would earn three silvers for the Seahawks. She would swim a 1:21.42 in the 100 breaststroke to take away four points followed by a second-place finish in the 200 breaststroke (3:00.89). Her final silver came in the 100 individual medley with a time of 1:15.84.
- Ross led the Seahawks in the 200 backstroke with a second-place finish in 2:41.36 while Valenti finished second in the 400 freestyle in 4:55.56 followed by Straathof in third (4:58.45).
- Also earning a silver medal would be Sutton, who found the finish line in 1:14.09 in the 100 backstroke.
- The final silver of the day came in the 200 freestyle relay as Sutton, sophomore Rachel Yates (Stevensville, Md./Kent Island), sophomore Samantha Schoenecker (Dallas, Texas/Woodrow Wilson), and Straathof posted a time of 1:58.18.
- Yates would take home third in the 50 freestyle with a 30.07 finish followed by Schoenecker in fourth (30.24).
- Schoenecker led St. Mary's in the 100 freestyle with a third-place finish in 1:06.28.
Up Next for the Seahawks
The Seahawks will be home on Friday, November 18 against Washington College at 6:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming