For Immediate Release · By Monica Vega · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's swim team (0-3, 0-2 CAC) were defeated by York College of Pennsylvania (3-0, 2-0 CAC) on Saturday afternoon in a Capital Athletic Conference dual meet. The Seahawks would have a strong showing despite the loss, earning six gold medals.
York (Pa.) – 119, St. Mary's (Md.) – 86
How It Happened
- The Seahawks would walk away with six gold medals – five individuals and one relay.
- Senior captain Lizzie Straathof (Bethesda, Md./Walter Johnson) would earn the first nine points of the day in the 50 freestyle, clocking in a time of 25.92. She would also take silver in the 100 freestyle with a time of 56:51.
- Straathof would also anchor the winning 200 freestyle relay, joining her teammates sophomores Rachel Yates (Stevensville, Md./Kent Island) and Samantha Schoenecker (Dallas, Texas/Woodrow Wilson), and first-year Carolyn Sutton (Laurel, Md./Laurel) with a time of 1:45.07.
- Sophomore Elizabeth Valenti (Gaithersburg, Md./Quince Orchard) would take gold in the 400 individual medley with a time of 5:00.25.
- Junior captain Rachel Sonnenberg (Derwood, Md./Magruder) topped her opponents in the 100 butterfly with a final time of 1:04.46.
- Sutton would receive an individual gold medal in the 100 backstroke as she clocked a winning time of 1:05.05 while first-year Angela Ross (Perry Hall, Md./Perry Hall) placed third (1:07.49).
- Sophomore Hailley Baughman (Lineboro, Md./Manchester Valley) would show her speed in the 100 breaststroke, earning nine points with a time of 1:12.60.
- The Seahawks would take home the silver medal in the 200 medley relay. The relay featured Ross, Baughman, Sonnenberg, and Yates with a time of 1:58.63.
- In the 1,000 freestyle, Valenti claimed a third-place finish in 11:37.52. She also gained third in the 500 freestyle in 5:43.34.
- Sonnenberg paced St. Mary's in the 200 freestyle with a third-best time of 2:09.87 while junior Emma Green (Bowie, Md./Elizabeth Seton) came in fourth (2:10.77).
Up Next for the Seahawks
- The Seahawks will travel to Frostburg State University on Saturday, November 12 for a double-dual meet with University of Pittsburgh at Bradford. The meet will begin at 1:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, #SMCMswim, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming