For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
York, Pa. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's team handed York College of Pennsylvania a one-goal defeat Saturday afternoon for the second time in 10 days. Senior captain Zoe Smedley's (Clarksville, Md./River Hill) second goal of the season proved to be the difference as No. 6 seed St. Mary's (8-10-1) posted a 1-0 triumph over the third-seeded Spartans (8-10) to gain a spot in the 2018 Capital Athletic Conference Women's Soccer Tournament Championship Semifinals.
As the sixth seed, the Seahawks will head to Fredericksburg, Va., to face second-seeded University of Mary Washington on Wednesday, October 31. Mary Washington tallied a 4-0 win over the Seahawks on October 6 in Seahawk Stadium.
St. Mary's 1, York 0
How It Happened
- York edged the Seahawks, 15-10, in shots, including an 11-3 advantage in the second half, while doubling them up, 6-3, in corner kicks.
- Senior captain Katie Flores (Towson, Md./Towson) notched six saves, three in each half, for her fourth shutout as Flores and the St. Mary's defensive backline put on another solid performance.
- The Seahawks came out strong in the first half, owning a 7-4 shot advantage, but all of Jess Wieber's four stops happened in the first 45 minutes, sending the two sides into halftime in a scoreless draw.
- St. Mary's finally broke the stalemate in the 62nd minute when Smedley, outside the box, found the right side of the goal off a pass from sophomore forward Alex Moody (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional).
- The Spartans had scoring opportunities in the 67th, 77th, and 79th minutes, which Flores turned away.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: Smedley (1 goal); Moody (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Flores (6 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Wieber (4 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- This is the eighth time in program history St. Mary's has blanked the Spartans.
- The Seahawks improve to 18-9-3 in the series, which began in 1994, and have won three in a row over York.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 31 at #2 seed Mary Washington (11-3-1) – Fredericksburg, Va. – TBA
- Mary Washington holds a 27-8-8 advantage in the series, which began in 1986. The Seahawks hope to repeat last year's results in which St. Mary's lost to the Eagles in the regular-season but then beat them when it mattered most in the CAC Tournament.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks