For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
York, Pa. – Senior forward Jenna Pastel (Silver Spring, Md./Albert Einstein) put up a season-best three points on a goal and an assist Wednesday night to propel the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's soccer team played to an important Capital Athletic Conference victory. The Seahawks (7-8-1, 2-2-1 CAC) held on for a 2-1 road triumph over York College of Pennsylvania (6-9-0, 2-3-0 CAC), moving into a two-way for fourth in the conference standings.
St. Mary's 2, York 1
How It Happened
- St. Mary's made the most of its 10 shots with a goal in each half as the Spartans posted a 28-10 shot advantage and doubled up the Seahawks in corner kicks, 6-3.
- Senior forward Haley David (Frederick, Md./Smithsburg) put St. Mary's on the scoreboard first and early on with her first career goal in the seventh minute, finishing off a cross from Pastel at the far right post.
- The Spartans generated 13 shots in the first half and earned two corner kicks but senior captain Katie Flores (Towson, Md./Towson) stepped up to the challenge, turning away six to preserve the 1-0 Seahawk lead at the break.
- Pastel then scored her second of the year in the 54th minute as she put first-year midfielder Lauren Giron's (Rockville, Md./Rockville) through ball into the right corner.
- York cut the lead in half at 75:11 with a well-executed corner kick as Caitlin Rankin put the ball into play; Victoria Miller collected it and passed it off to Jenna Cholowinski, who placed it into the left corner.
- The Spartans continued to attack, firing off four more shots after pulling within one but Flores grabbed two more saves as she finished the night with 10 stops for her third double-digit save effort of 2018.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: Pastel (1 goal, 1 assist); David (1 goal); Giron (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Flores (10 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- Scorers: Cholowinski (1 goal); Rankin (1 assist); Miller (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Jess Wieber (2 saves, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Seahawks improve to 17-9-3 in the series, which began in 1994, and marks St. Mary's second straight win over the Spartans.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 20 vs. Penn State Harrisburg (7-9-1, 1-4-0 CAC) – Seahawk Stadium (CAC match) – SENIOR DAY – 1:00 p.m.
- St. Mary's has never lost to Harrisburg in five previous meetings, outscoring the Lions, 20-0, in those matchups.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks