For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Frostburg, Md. – Senior captain Katie Flores (Towson, Md./Towson) recorded a career-best 11 saves Saturday evening as the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's soccer team played to a scoreless double overtime draw at Frostburg State University in Capital Athletic Conference action. This is the third straight tie between St. Mary's (6-8-1, 1-2-1 CAC) and the Bobcats (3-9-1, 1-2-1 CAC).
St. Mary's 0, Frostburg State 0 (2 OT)
How It Happened
- Frostburg State controlled the tempo of the game, posting a 22-11 shot advantage, while the Seahawks notched a 7-6 edge in corner kicks.
- The Bobcats tallied a 5-4 margin in shots in the first half with Flores making three stops to preserve the scoreless draw at the break.
- FSU limited St. Mary's to three second-half shots while peppering Flores with eight. Senior captain Lauren Hall (Perry Hall, Md./Perry Hall) fired the Seahawks' first shot on goal in the 84th minute but Rhianna Lapen took care of it. Flores added four more stops in the half to force OT.
- The Seahawks did not fire a single shot in the first extra frame while Flores turned away two of the Frostburg's five shots.
- Shots were even at four each in the second overtime period while St. Mary's earned two corner kicks as well. Flores made a save in the first 30 seconds of the period and then again in the last 30 seconds of the game.
- Senior midfielder Emily Huey (Pocomoke City, Md./Snow Hill) took the Seahawks' second and final shot on goal at 104th minute but again Lapen handled it.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Flores (11 saves, 0 goals allowed, 110:00)
For Frostburg State
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Rhianna Lapen (2 saves, 0 goals allowed, 110:00)
- Frostburg State still maintains the edge in the series, 9-5-5, after today's draw. The Seahawks are now 2-0-3 against FSU in their last five meetings.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 17 at York (6-8-0, 2-2-0 CAC) – York, Pa. (CAC match) – 7:00 p.m.
- The Seahawks hold a 16-9-3 record in the series, which began in 1994. Last fall, St. Mary's came away with a 2-0 win in St. Mary's City.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks