For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Buena Vista, Va. – Sophomore forward Alex Moody (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional) scored a goal for the second straight game as Moody notched two goals for the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's soccer team Saturday evening. St. Mary's (6-5, 1-0 CAC) picked up a 3-1 road win over Southern Virginia University (4-5, 0-1 CAC) in the Capital Athletic Conference opener for both sides. This was the Seahawks' second consecutive win.
St. Mary's 3, Southern Virginia 1
How It Happened
- St. Mary's edged the Knights, 15-13, in shots while taking a 6-2 lead in corner kicks.
- Sophomore Emmey German (Lutherville, Md./Towson) netted the first goal of the game in the seventh minute as German put back the rebound of a Moody shot, which Rachel Miller saved but could not control.
- Moody then scored her first of the day at 23:37 as she finished off a pass from senior midfielder Emily Huey (Pocomoke City, Md./Snow Hill) by shooting it over Miller from an angle.
- There would be no more scoring in the first 45 minutes as senior captain Katie Flores (Towson, Md./Towson) came up with five first-half saves to keep Southern Virginia off the scoreboard while the Seahawks staked a 2-0 halftime lead.
- The Knights responded in the second half, cutting the lead in half when Kylie Auger headed in Madi King's free kick in the 65th minute.
- Moody added the insurance marker in the 80th minute as she blasted one past Miller.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: Moody (2 goals, 1 assist); German (1 goal); Huey (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Flores (6 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
For Southern Virginia
- Scorers: Auger (1 goal); King (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Miller (3 saves, 3 goals allowed, 90:00)
- St. Mary's remains unbeaten against the Knights, moving to 3-0-3 in the series.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 3 at Virginia Wesleyan (4-2-1) – Virginia Beach, Va. – 5:00 p.m.
- Virginia Wesleyan leads the series, 10-5, but the two sides have not played each other since 2012. The Marlins have won seven straight over St. Mary's while the Seahawks' last win over VWU came in 1999 – a 1-0 overtime decision.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks