For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Newport News, Va. – It was the end of the road for the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's soccer team Wednesday night. The fourth-seeded Seahawks witnessed the close of their 2017 campaign in the semifinals of the 2017 Capital Athletic Conference Women's Soccer Championship Tournament with a 3-0 setback at the hands of No. 8 Christopher Newport University, the top seed in this year's tournament.
St. Mary's 0, No. 8 Christopher Newport 3
How It Happened
- Christopher Newport came at the Seahawks hard in the first half, peppering senior captain Sydney Larkin (Salisbury, Md./Parkside) with 12 shots and three corner kicks.
- Larkin withstood the challenge, registering five stop to maintain a scoreless draw at halftime.
- The Captains had an early opportunity in the second half to stake a 1-0 lead in the 50th minute but Larkin came up with a phenomenal save to keep St. Mary's in the game.
- CNU finally broke through at 56:55 when Gabby Gillis fed Riley Cook, who then turned on a Seahawk defender at the top of the box and fired a hard shot into the left of the net.
- Gillis then netted one of her own in the 70th minute as she banked one into the right side.
- The final blow arrived 10 minutes later when Carson Pokorny poked in a loose ball after a scrum in front of the goal.
For the Seahawks (6-9-4)
- Scorer: None
- Goalkeeper: Larkin (7 saves, 3 goals allowed, 90:00)
- St. Mary's was limited to a pair of shots (one on goal) and one corner kick in the second half.
For No. 8 Christopher Newport (17-0-1)
- Scorers: Gillis (1 goal, 1 assist); Cook (1 goal); Pokorny (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Carly Maglio (1 save, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Captains picked up their 15th consecutive win with 29 shots (10 on goal) and five corners. CNU improves to 8-2 all-time against the Seahawks.
- Tonight marked St. Mary's third consecutive appearance in the semifinals of the CAC Tournament. Overall, the Seahawks have made the semifinals 17 times and advanced to the championship game three times, winning it all in 2008.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Season Complete
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks