For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – Three first-half goals propelled the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's soccer team Saturday afternoon to an important 4-1 Capital Athletic Conference victory over Wesley College. The win strengthened St. Mary's position in the hunt for a spot in the conference tournament with one game remaining in the regular season.
St. Mary's 4, Wesley 1
How It Happened
- St. Mary's dominated possession throughout the day and cruised to its third CAC win of the season.
- Junior Emily Huey (Pocomoke City, Md./Snow Hill) opened up the scoring with a top shelf goal from outside the 18 off a pass from first-year Emmey German (Lutherville, Md./Towson).
- First-year forward Alex Moody (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional) stretched the Seahawks' lead to 3-0 at 30:21 with back-to-back goals. Senior midfielder Kat Golladay (Silver Spring, Md./Montgomery Blair) assisted on Moody's second goal of the day.
- Wesley avoided the shutout in the 71st minute when Emily Garrett sailed one in from about 30 yards out.
- Over a minute later, first-year forward Madison Webb (Rising Sun, Md./Rising Sun) netted her first collegiate goal as Webb bounced one over Krista Salvadore.
For the Seahawks (4-8-4, 3-3-2 CAC)
- Scorers: Moody (2 goals); Huey (1 goal); Webb (1 goal); German (1 assist); Golladay (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Sydney Larkin (0 saves, 0 goals allowed, 62:22); Katie Flores (1 save, 1 goal allowed, 27:38)
- St. Mary's finished the game with 23 shots (13 on goal) and gained five corner kicks.
For Wesley (3-11-1, 0-8-0 CAC)
- Scorer: Garrett (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Krista Salvadore (9 saves, 4 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Wolverines took three second-half shots (one on goal) but did not earn any corners.
- The Seahawks are currently sitting fifth in the CAC standings as they head into their final regular-season match-up against York College of Pennsylvania on Wednesday. York is currently in a three way tie with Southern Virginia University (3-4-1 CAC) and the University of Mary Washington (3-4-1 CAC) for sixth place.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 25 vs. York (Pa.) (4-9-2, 3-4-1 CAC) – Seahawk Stadium – CAC match – 3:30 p.m.
- St. Mary's holds the edge over the Spartans with a 15-9-3 all-time record; however, York has won the last two match-ups.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks