For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's soccer team suffered their first setback in Capital Athletic Conference action Wednesday afternoon. St. Mary's succumbed to a 1-0 loss at the hands of Salisbury University.
St. Mary's 0, Salisbury 1
How It Happened
- The Seahawks stood strong against a physical and scrappy Salisbury squad.
- SU got on the scoreboard early as Julianna Boller was able to slip one past senior captain Sydney Larkin (Salisbury, Md./Parkside) in the third minute during a mad scramble in front of goal.
- The Sea Gulls outshot St. Mary's, 7-4, and posted a 3-1 margin in corner kicks in the first half but the Seahawk defense did a good job in keeping Salisbury at bay.
- Salisbury doubled up the Seahawks on shots, 4-2, over the final 45 minutes while corners were even at two apiece.
- St. Mary's best scoring opportunity came in the 88th minute when Hope Knussman, this week's CAC Defensive Player of the Week, made a foot save on a shot by junior midfielder Emily Huey (Pocomoke City, Md./Snow Hill) but then Knussman almost let trickle in after losing sight of the ball.
For the Seahawks (2-6-3, 1-1-1 CAC)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Larkin (5 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- St. Mary's put up six shots (two on goal) and earned three corner kicks.
For Salisbury (5-7-0, 3-0-0 CAC)
- Scorer: Boller (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Knussman (2 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Sea Gulls finished the game with 11 shots (seven on goal) and five corners in recording their second straight win.
- Salisbury snapped a four-game skid against the Seahawks to improve to 24-7-3 all-time.
- Today's loss ended a three-match unbeaten streak for St. Mary's.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 6 at Marymount (Va.) University (2-6-2, 1-2-0 CAC) – Arlington, Va. – CAC match – 6:30 p.m.
- St. Mary's has dominated the series with the Saints, 28-5-2, including a 19-1-1 mark since 1997.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks