For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – Junior midfielder Emily Huey (Pocomoke City, Md./Snow Hill) dashed Randolph-Macon College's hopes of a season-opening win Friday afternoon when Huey fired in a last-second shot from outside the box which might have sailed over the crossbar but just dipped inside the top right corner to force overtime.
The two sides played two extra 10-minute periods but neither team could break through the defense and the match ended in a draw.
St. Mary's (Md.) 2, Randolph-Macon 2
How It Happened
- R-MC struck first at 29:52 when junior goalkeeper Katie Flores (Towson, Md./Towson) made an initial save on a shot fired by Casey Kent but, unfortunately, the rebound bounced high and behind Flores, trickling in for the first goal of the match.
- However, the Seahawks responded about four minutes later when Huey sent in a cross from the right side to the penalty spot where first-year Emmey German (Lutherville, Md./Towson) turned and fired into the middle side netting to the knot the game at 1-1.
- The Yellow Jackets again claimed a one-goal lead in the second half when Abby Davis sent a free kick from about 25 yards out over the defensive wall into the lower left corner past a diving Flores.
- Huey then connected with junior captain Zoe Smedley (Clarksville, Md./River Hill) for the last-second equalizer as the 10-second countdown was going on.
- Each side had two shots in overtime with each keeper making a stop to preserve the 2-2 deadlock.
For the Seahawks (0-0-1)
- Scorers: Huey (1 goal, 1 assist); German (1 goal); Smedley (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Flores (4 saves, 2 goals allowed, 110:00)
- St. Mary's took 13 shots (seven on goal) and notched two corner kicks – one in each half of regulation.
For Randolph-Macon (0-0-1)
- Scorers: Kent (1 goal); Davis (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Christina Newman (5 saves, 2 goals allowed, 110:00)
- The Yellow Jackets rattled off a dozen shots and six corner kicks, including five in the first half.
- With the draw, St. Mary's stretches its unbeaten streak against the Yellow Jackets to six straight (4-0-2) and now takes a 5-4-2 record in the series history. R-MC's last win over the Seahawks was a 2-0 decision in 1994.
- In addition, the Seahawks are riding a three-match unbeaten streak dating back to October 29 of last season as St. Mary's ended the 2016 campaign with a 1-0-1 mark.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 3 vs. Averett (1-0) – Seahawk Stadium – 3:30 p.m.
- In its only meeting with Averett, St. Mary's posted a 4-0 victory in 2015 on the Cougars' home turf in Danville, Virginia.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER, #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer, #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks