For Immediate Release · By Monica Vega · email@example.com
York, Pa. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's soccer team dropped a heartbreaking 3-2 double overtime decision at York College of Pennsylvania in the regular-season finale.
With the loss, the Seahawks gained the third seed in the 2016 Capital Athletic Conference Women's Soccer Championship Tournament and will be hosting sixth-seeded Salisbury University this Saturday, October 29 at 12:00 p.m. in first round action.
St. Mary's (Md.) – 2, York (Pa.) – 3
How It Happened
- The Seahawks would be first on the board when senior forward Gillian Sawyer (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) was fouled in the upper left hand side of the box. Sawyer buried the penalty kick into the left side of the goal in the 18th minute.
- St. Mary's would find the net again in the 28th minute when first-year forward Gabby Encarnacion (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air) would receive a pass in front by the six at the back post from senior midfielder Claire Kostelnik (Los Angeles, Calif./Flintridge Sacred Heart).
- York's sophomore midfielder Alysssa Rankin (Joppa, Md./Edgewood)would cut the deficit in half in the 41st minute with her first goal of the season.
- The first half would end with the Seahawks' leading 2-1.
- The Spartans forced an extra frame when junior forward Maxine Herman (York, Pa./Dover) would collect the ball in the box, turn and beat her defender before firing into the left side netting in the 86th minute.
- York denied the Seahawks a first-round bye when Herman connected on a cross in the 102nd minute and found the back of the net for her second of the day.
For St. Mary's (9-6-1, 6-2-1 CAC)
- Scorers: Sawyer (1 goal); Encarnacion (1 goal); Kostelnik (1 assist).
- Goalkeeper: Junior Sydney Larkin (Salisbury, Md./Parkside) would play 101:21 minutes and walked away with two saves.
- The Seahawks would take 17 shots (eight on goal) and have two corner kicks.
For York (7-9-1, 5-4-0 CAC)
- Scorers: Herman (2 goals); Rankin (1 goal); Corie Elliott (1 assist); Georgia Gillcrist (1 assist).
- Goalkeeper: First-year Brittany Cullison (Swedesboro, N.J./Gloucester County Tech) would play 101:21 minutes and have six saves to complete the contest.
- The Spartans would take 16 shots (five on goal) and conclude the game with five corner kicks.
Up next for the Seahawks
10/29 vs. Salisbury at 12:00 p.m. (CAC Tournament First Round)
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer