For Immediate Release · By Monica Vega · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's soccer defeated the Southern Virginia University Knights on Saturday afternoon as the Seahawks celebrated the Class of 2017.
St. Mary's four seniors – Ellen Airozo (Silver Spring, Md./Albert Einstein), Carolyn Barranco (Parkton, Md./Hereford), Claire Kostelnik (Los Angeles, Calif./Flintridge Sacred Heart), and Hannah Starnes (Bel Air, Md.) –were honored for their four years of dedication to the Seahawk women's soccer program prior to the start of today's action.
With just one game remaining in the conference regular season, Christopher Newport University (7-0-1), who claimed the top seed for the fourth straight year, St. Mary's (6-1-1), Frostburg State University (6-2), and University of Mary Washington (5-2-1) have solidified spots in the six-team tournament field while York College of Pennsylvania (4-4), Salisbury University (3-4-1), and Penn State Harrisburg (3-5) are in the mix for the final two postseason bids.
St. Mary's (Md.) – 3, Southern Virginia – 0
How It Happened
- The Seahawks would be first on the board as sophomore midfielder Emily Huey (Pocomoke City, Md./Snow Hill) took a shot off a set piece and scored her fourth of the season. St. Mary's would carry its 1-0 lead through halftime.
- St. Mary's would find the net again in the second half in the 75th minute when redshirt senior forward Gillian Sawyer (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) found the ball off a corner kick from Huey and headed in her 12th goal of the season.
- The final Seahawk goal came 31 seconds later as Sawyer dribbled to just outside of the penalty box and sealed the 3-0 win with her second of the afternoon.
For St. Mary's (9-5-1, 6-1-1 CAC)
- Scorers: Sawyer (2 goals); Huey (1 goal, 1 assist).
- Goalkeeper: Junior Sydney Larkin (Salisbury, Md./Parkside) collected her sixth shutout of the season with nine saves in 90 minutes of actions.
- The Seahawks would take 22 shots (seven on goal) and have three corner kicks.
For Southern Virginia (5-10, 2-6 CAC)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: First-year Megan Turner (Sandy, Utah/Brighton) would play 90:00 minutes and have four saves to complete the contest.
- The Knights would take 12 shots (nine on goal) and conclude the game with five corner kicks.
Up Next for the Seahawks
10/26 at York (Pa.) (6-9-1, 4-4-0 CAC) at 3:30 p.m. (CAC contest, regular-season finale)
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer