For Immediate Release · By Monica Vega · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's soccer team fell short of a win to the No. 21 Christopher Newport University Captains on Wednesday afternoon.
St. Mary's (Md.) – 1, Christopher Newport – 2
How It Happened
- The Captains would get on the board first as sophomore forward Kayla Locklear (Fredericksburg, Va./Courtland) connected on a header at 37:15.
- In the 54th minute, first-year defender Sydney Rife (Virginia Beach, Va./Kellam) would put the ball to the goal, taking the Captains lead to 2-0.
- St. Mary's sophomore Jenna Pastel (Silver Spring, Md./Albert Einstein) would score off the Captains' turnover in the second half, making it a one goal game with 15:04 remaining in the game.
- The Seahawks would return in the second half with a great defensive fight and the Captains would no longer score in the game.
For St. Mary's (7-5, 4-1 CAC)
- Scorers: Pastel (1 goal – 74:56).
- Goalkeeper: Junior Sydney Larkin (Salisbury, Md./Parkside) would play 90:00 minutes and walked away with a career-best 13 saves.
- The Seahawks would take nine shots and have two corner kicks.
For Christopher Newport (11-1, 5-0 CAC)
- Scorers: Locklear (1 goal – 37:15); Rife (1 goal – 53:13)
- Goalkeeper: Senior Carly Maglio (Pensacola, Fla./Pensacola) would play 90:00 minutes and have five saves to complete the contest.
- The Captains would take 21 shots and conclude the game with six corner kicks.
Up next for the Seahawks
10/15 on the road against Wesley College (4-7-1, 0-5-0 CAC) at 7:00 p.m. (CAC match)
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer