For Immediate Release · By Monica Vega · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's soccer team took down the Marymount (Va.) University Saints on Friday afternoon to propel their record to 4-0 in the Capital Athletic Conference.
St. Mary's (Md.) – 4, Marymount (Va.) – 1
How It Happened
- The Seahawks would take an early lead at 19:32 when sophomore Emily Huey (Pocomoke City, Md./Snow Hill) found teammate senior captain Carolyn Barranco (Parkton, Md./Hereford) for the first point on the board.
- At 24:52, sophomore Jenna Pastel (Silver Spring, Md./Albert Einstein)would capitalize on a corner kick from senior forward Gillian Sawyer (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake). Pastel found the back of the net to take a 2-0 lead.
- The Seahawks attacked quickly in the second half as Huey would find the net again off another assist from Barranco to set a three-goal cushion.
- The final goal for the Seahawks would come when Sawyer collected a pass from senior captain Claire Kostelnik (Los Angeles, Calif./Flintridge Sacred Heart) for the fourth score of the game.
- At 81:49, Marymount would get on the board when Karen Reyes (Reston, Va./South Lakes) dribbled to the net for the Saints' only goal of the game.
For St. Mary's (7-4, 4-0 CAC)
- Scorers: Huey (2 goals – 19:32 and 57:29); Pastel (24:52); Sawyer (1 goal – 60:52, 1 assist), Kostelnik (1 assist).
- Goalkeeper: Sophomore Katie Flores (Towson, Md./Towson) would play 90:00 minutes and walked away with three saves to improve her record to 3-2.
- The Seahawks would take 24 shots and have seven corner kicks.
For Marymount (6-5, 1-3 CAC)
- Scorers: Reyes (1 goal – 81:49).
- Goalkeeper: Senior April Westmark (Pensacola,Fl./Pensacola) would play 45:00 minutes and have six saves in dropping to 2-3 on the season while junior Sydney Schultz (Waldorf, Md./La Plata) started the second half and finished with three stops over the final 45.
- The Saints would take five shots and conclude the game with one corner kick.
Up Next For the Seahawks
10/12 at home against Christopher Newport University at 4:00 p.m. (CAC match)
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer