For Immediate Release · By Monica Vega · email@example.com
Baltimore, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's soccer team (3-2-0) would fall to John Hopkins University Wednesday night. Johns Hopkins would be able to capitalize on one more goal than the Seahawks and the game would conclude with a score of 2-1.
How it happened
- The Blue Jays would be first on the board early in the first half when junior midfielder Sophie Murphy (Wallingford, PA/Strath Haven) would score at 5:58.
- The Seahawks' Gillian Sawyer (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) would score her 39th career goal at 65:08 off a breakaway.
- Johns Hopkins would secure the win at 88:40 when first-year forward Kristen Nixon (Charlotte, NC/Ardrey) chested a cross from senior forward Alyssa Morgan (Fairfax, VA/Oakton).
For St. Mary's (3-2-0)
- Scorers: Sawyer (1 goal).
- Goalkeeper: Sophomore Katie Flores (Towson, Md./Towson) would play 90 minutes and walk away with six saves and a record of 1-2.
- The Seahawks would take four shots (three shots on goal) and three corner kicks.
For Johns Hopkins (2-1-2)
- Scorers: Murphy (1 goal); Nixon (1 goal).
- Goalkeeper: Junior Bess Kitzmiller (Wilsonville, OR/Wilsonville) would play 90 minutes and have two saves to complete the contest.
- The Blue Jays would capture 25 shots to the net with eight shots on goal and conclude the game with seven corner kicks.
Up next for the Seahawks
- 9/17 @ Bridgewater (Va.) – 2:00 p.m. (non-conference match)
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer