For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – Senior attacker Lacey Brown (Monkton, Md./Hereford) recorded her 14th career hat trick Monday afternoon in a setback for the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's lacrosse team. The Seahawks (7-8) dropped a 15-8 decision to Washington College (11-2) in a non-conference game.
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen opened up a 4-1 lead at 15:12 as four different players found the back of the net. Brown and senior captain Megan Cannon (Reisterstown, Md./Notre Dame Prep) cut the deficit to 4-3 at 12:36 after scoring within 36 seconds of each other.
- Washington College rattled off four straight to lead 8-3 with 3:03 left in the half as Lauren Brenner scored twice. Junior attacker Sydni Thacker (Lutherville-Timonium, Md./McDonogh School) pulled St. Mary's within four as Thacker notched her 15th of the season with 17 ticks on the clock.
- The visitors began the second half with three in a row to stretch their lead to seven at 23:05. Brenner fueled the 3-0 run with a goal and an assist. Junior attacker Ali Collie's (Glen Arm, Md./Dulaney) unassisted tally at 20:02 interrupted WC's run.
- Kristy Grovom sparked another 3-0 push for the Shorewomen with two goals for Washington College's biggest lead of the game, 14-5, at 13:48. The Seahawks responded with three consecutive goals from midfielders Caitlin Katchmar (Phoenix, Md./Hereford) and Kate Bartholomew (Galena, Md./Kent County) and Brown, closing the gap to 14-8 at 4:41.
Inside the Box Score
- Brown paced the Seahawks with three goals while senior captain Gabby Beese (Towson, Md./Notre Dame Prep) dished out two assists.
- Sophomore defender Dani MacDonald (Westminster, Md./Winters Mill) came up with a career-best four draw controls as the Seahawks won the battle at the X with a 14-11 margin in draws.
- Junior goalie Emma Brown (Warwick, N.Y./Warwick Valley) made 11 saves, scooped up two ground balls, and caused a turnover while allowing 15 goals in 60 minutes.
- Brenner finished with four goals and an assist to lead all scorers while Grovom grabbed five draw controls and chipped in three goals and an assist. Isabella Richardson had nine stops and gave up eight goals in the Shorewomen's fifth straight win.
- Shots: St. Mary's 25, Washington College 34
- Ground Balls: St. Mary's 17, Washington College 21
- Draw Controls: St. Mary's 14, Washington College 11
- Free-Position Shots: St. Mary's 2-5, Washington College 4-10
- Saves: St. Mary's 11, Washington College 9
- Caused Turnovers: St. Mary's 2, Washington College 10
- Turnovers: St. Mary's 24, Washington College 19
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 18 at Wesley College (6-7, 1-5 CAC) – Dover, Del. – CAC game – 7:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwlax
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMWLAX
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks