For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Chestertown, Md. – Junior attacker Lacey Brown (Monkton, Md./Hereford) collected her second hat trick of the season Monday night in leading the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's lacrosse team at Washington College. However, the Seahawks came up short, falling 17-8 to the Shorewomen in non-conference action.
St. Mary's 8, Washington College 17
How It Happened
- Washington scored four straight free-position goals to stake a 4-0 lead at 19:01 before Brown picked up her first of the evening off an assist from senior captain Meg Gesner (Severna Park, Md./Severn) at 18:20.
- The Shorewomen tacked on two more before senior midfielder Erika Kopf (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) notched her team-leading 15th goal of the season on a free-position shot with 44 seconds left in the half. WC headed into halftime with a 7-2 lead after adding one more 10 seconds after Kopf's.
- After Washington opened up the second half with four goals in a row, the Seahawks then put together a 5-1 run to close the gap to 12-7 at 14:15.
- The Shorewomen responded with a 5-1 run of their own to close out the game.
For St. Mary's (4-5)
- Tonight's hat trick was the fourth of Brown's career.
- Kopf finished with two goals while Gesner dished a career-best two assists.
- Junior attacker Gabby Beese (Towson, Md./Notre Dame Prep) added a goal and an assist.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Emma Brown (Warwick, N.Y./Warwick Valley) turned away seven shots and scooped up a career- and team-best four ground balls.
- St. Mary's edged the Shorewomen in ground balls, 17-16, while being held to 2-of-8 on free-position shots.
For Washington College (5-2)
- Scorers (G-A): Kristy Grovom (6-0); Katherine Vincent (5-5); Cecily Docktor (3-1); Emily Pantazes (3-0); Morgen Moran (0-1)
- Goalie: Haylee Solomon (4 saves, 7 GA, 45:15); Madeline Mullen (4 saves, 1 GA, 14:15)
- WC outshot the guests, 31-21, and won 20 of 27 draw controls while converting on 7-of-11 free-position shots.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- St. Mary's will look to get back in the win column on Wednesday, March 22 when the Seahawks host McDaniel College (4-2) at Seahawk Stadium in non-conference action at 4:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMWLAX, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut, #Unfinished
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwlax