For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Washington, D.C. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland and The Catholic University of America women's basketball teams came together Tuesday night to remember Jamie Roberts '11. St. Mary's (1-4) dropped its second straight contest in a row, falling 72-44 to Catholic (3-1) in non-conference action.
St. Mary's 44, Catholic 72
How It Happened
- Senior captain Katie Robey (Kensington, Md./Georgetown Visitation) made a pair of free throws at 5:46 to cap a quick 4-0 push, which gave the Seahawks their only lead of the game. Catholic closed out the first quarter on a 16-0 run to stake an 18-4 lead at the end of one period of play.
- St. Mary's did not take care of the ball over the first 20 minutes of the game, committing 18 turnovers. In the second stanza, the Seahawks connected on three field goals and went 4-of-8 at the free throw line to head into halftime down 35-14.
- In the third quarter, St. Mary's gained better control of the ball and outscored the Cardinals, 22-19. The Seahawks went 8-of-16 from the field, including 5-of-8 from downtown, with only four miscues. First-year guard Cassidy Kupchinskas (Bel Air, Md./John Carroll) came off the bench to lead the way with six points in six minutes, as Kupchinskas was 2-of-2 from behind the three-point arc.
- St. Mary's could not sustain its momentum from the third period in the fourth as the Seahawks were once again limited to just 3-of-14 from the floor and 2-of-6 at the charity stripe.
Inside the Box Score
- Kupchinskas finished as St. Mary's leading scorer with a season-best eight points, as she did not miss a single shot in 18 minutes of action. She went 3-of-3 from the field with two triples.
- Forwards Gina Seifert (Owings, Md./Northern) and Hallie Persell (Pasadena, Md./Chesapeake) and first-year guard LaTavia Washington (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) each grabbed five rebounds while Seifert added six points.
- A trio of Cardinals scored in double digits and Sydney Poindexter tallied a game-high 18 points on 7-of-10 shooting while Megan Stafford contributed 15 points and a game-best eight boards.
- St. Mary's ended the night shooting 29.4-percent with 10 assists and eight steals.
- Catholic controlled the boards with a 54-29 margin and shot 37.1-percent from the field while making 76.9-percent of its free throws with 15 helpers and 13 steals.
- Roberts was a St. Mary's College class of 2011 economics major and three-sport star athlete (soccer, basketball, lacrosse) who tragically died in June 2014 while riding her bicycle across the country in the 4K For Cancer event, which raised money for the Ulman Cancer Fund to support young adults impacted by cancer.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 1 vs. Salisbury (4-0, 0-0 CAC) – MPOBARC Arena – 2:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks