For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
- Score: St. Mary's 33, No. 10/13 Christopher Newport 64
- Records: St. Mary's (6-11, 2-9 CAC), No. 10/13 Christopher Newport (16-2, 10-1 CAC)
- Location: Newport News, Va. – Freeman Center
- The Short Story: Senior captain Kerri Kline (Hagerstown, Md./Saint James) cemented her place in the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball record books Wednesday night at No. 10/13 Christopher Newport University. Kline connected on three three-pointers to break the school record for three-point field goals made in a career. Despite Kline's game-best 17 points, St. Mary's dropped a 64-33 Capital Athletic Conference decision to the nationally-ranked Captains.
- Kline became the school's all-time leader in three-point field goals made with 169 following tonight's 3-for-6 performance from downtown. She had matched Felicia Harris' (1998-2001) mark of 166 on Jan. 13 at Penn State Harrisburg.
How It Happened
- Both teams struggled to find the basket tonight but Christopher Newport was buoyed by a 30-point first quarter in route to its fifth consecutive victory.
- The two sides combined for just six points in the second period as the Captains headed into the locker room with a 35-10 halftime advantage.
- CNU only outscored the Seahawks, 29-23, over the final two quarters of play.
Inside the Box Score
- In addition to her game-high 17 points, Kline picked up a season-best three steals.
- Senior guard Christine Morin (Kensington, Md./St. John's [D.C.]) grabbed a career-best eight rebounds while chipping in three points and two assists.
- Micah Maloney registered a double-double of 15 points and game-best 10 boards to lead the Captains while CNU outrebounded the Seahawks, 64-36, and tallied 23 points off of 26 St. Mary's miscues.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 27 vs. Frostburg State University (8-10, 4-7 CAC) – Michael P. O'Brien ARC Arena – CAC game – 4:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks