For Immediate Release · Sunday, December 17, 2017 · email@example.com
- Score: St. Mary's 53, Gallaudet 48
- Records: St. Mary's (3-6), Gallaudet (5-7)
- Location: Washington, D.C. – Field House
- The Short Story: The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball team snapped their four-game skid Sunday afternoon, rallying in the fourth quarter for the 53-48 non-conference road win over Gallaudet University. Senior captain Olivia Nowlin (Glenelg, Md./Glenelg) paced the Seahawks in their third win of the season with a season-best 16 points.
How It Happened
- Gallaudet opened up the fourth quarter with a 9-4 push to stake its last lead of the game, 44-42, at 3:15 on a jumper by Kori Koss.
- Nowlin sparked an 11-2 run for the Seahawks with five straight points and a steal, propelling her team to their biggest lead of the game, 53-46, with 35 seconds left in the game. She finished with eight points in the run as she capped the run by knocking down two free throws.
- After a full timeout called by the Bison, GU missed two field goal attempts with junior captain Katie Robey (Kensington, Md./Georgetown Visitation) grabbing the rebound on the second shot.
- The two sides traded turnovers before Hannah Neild got to the line for Gallaudet and made her two free throws with six ticks on the clock for the 53-48 final.
- St. Mary's jumped out to a 10-3 lead at 4:35 on a Nowlin layup before the Bison closed out the first period on an 11-4 run to send both teams into the second frame on equal footing.
- The Seahawks built a six-point lead (25-19) with 1:37 to go in the first half on a jumper by senior guard Bella Vagnoni (Chevy Chase, Md./Stone Ridge School) but Gallaudet, once again, responded by posting a 6-0 run and tying the game, 25-25, at the halftime.
- Senior guard Christine Morin (Kensington, Md./St. John's [D.C.]) went 3-of-4 at the line to give St. Mary's a 38-35 lead heading into the fourth quarter.
Inside the Box Score
- Besides her season-high 16 points, Nowlin added a season-best three steals and three rebounds.
- Senior captain Kerri Kline (Hagerstown, Md./Saint James) contributed 11 points and two boards while junior forward Kobe Chaney (Edgewater, Md./South River) chipped in eight caroms, a season-high three assists, and two points.
- A Neild double-double of game-bests 28 points and 13 rebounds paced Gallaudet in its second straight loss. Neild also notched a game-high seven steals.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 29 vs. Penn State Behrend (3-6) – Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena – 2:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks