For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 56, Frostburg State 70
- Records: St. Mary's (2-6, 0-4 CAC), Frostburg State (6-4, 2-2 CAC)
- Location: Frostburg, Md. – Bobcat Arena
- The Short Story: Junior Kobe Chaney (Edgewater, Md./South River) picked up her 500th career rebound as well as her 100th career block as the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball team took on Frostburg State University in Capital Athletic Conference action Saturday afternoon. In addition to Chaney's two milestones, two Seahawks reached double figures as St. Mary's dropped a 70-56 road decision for its fourth straight loss.
- Chaney is just the fifth player in Seahawk women's basketball history to notch 100 blocks and the 13th to collect 500 rebounds. The 5-11 forward has now amassed 504 rebounds and 101 blocks in 59 games played following her seven-rebound, two-block performance today.
How It Happened
- It was back-and-forth action in the first quarter as neither side owned a lead greater than three points. St. Mary's headed into the second period with a 17-16 edge thanks to a last-second layup by junior captain Katie Robey (Kensington, Md./Georgetown Visitation).
- The two teams continued to trade leads in the first three minutes of the second stanza before two triples by senior captain Kerri Kline (Hagerstown, Md./Saint James) and first-year guard Kyaira Priest (Lexington Park, Md./Chopticon) fueled a 7-2 run to give St. Mary's a 29-25 lead with 5:05 left in the half.
- However, the Bobcats closed out the half on an 11-3 run to stake a 36-32 halftime advantage.
- Frostburg State broke the game wide open in the third as FSU converted eight Seahawk turnovers into 11 points, contributing to a 16-8 run and a 52-40 lead after three quarters of play.
- St. Mary's handled the ball better in the last quarter but the Bobcats continued to roll and picked up their second CAC win of the season.
Inside the Box Score
- Kline paced the Seahawks with 19 points, four rebounds, and season-bests of three assists and three steals. She also knocked down season-bests of seven field goals made, including a season-high four three-pointers.
- First-year forward Hallie Persell (Pasadena, Md./Chesapeake) put up 13 points on a season-high five made free throws plus two boards.
- Victoria Diggs was Frostburg's leading scorer with a game-best 22 points while Amber Downey grabbed a game-high eight caroms.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 17 at Gallaudet University (4-5) – Washington, D.C. – 12:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks