Feb 18, 2017
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 50, Southern Virginia 70
- Records: St. Mary's (7-18, 5-13 CAC), Southern Virginia (4-21, 1-17 CAC)
- Location: Buena Vista, Va.
- The Short Story: The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball team dropped their regular-season finale at Southern Virginia University Saturday afternoon. Southern Virginia picked up a 70-50 Capital Athletic Conference victory to split the season series.
What It Means
- The loss brings St. Mary's 2016-17 campaign to a close as the Seahawks finish the season with a 7-18 (5-13 CAC) overall record.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's struggled to establish an offensive flow in the first half, shooting a mere 10.3-percent from the floor and trailing the Knights, 30-11, at halftime.
- Junior captain Olivia Nowlin (Glenelg, Md./Glenelg) paced the Seahawks at halftime with five points.
- The Seahawks put up a game-best 24 points in the third quarter but Southern Virginia equaled output and maintained its 19-point advantage.
- The Knights edged St. Mary's, 16-15, in the fourth stanza, receiving 16 points from the bench.
- sophomore forward Kobe Chaney (Edgewater, Md./South River)
- first-year forward Ashley Downs (Columbia, Md./Franklin)
Inside the Box Score
- Nowlin poured in 16 of her career-best 21 points in the second half as she made a career-high 12 free throws. She also added five rebounds and three steals.
- Senior center Nina Haller (Chevy Chase, Md./Bethesda-Chevy Chase) wrapped up her final collegiate game with her 10th double-double of the season on 15 points and 10 rebounds plus two blocks.
- Sophomore forward Alexandra Mitchell (Owings Mills, Md./Owings Mills) came off the bench to contribute career-bests of five rebounds and two steals.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMwbball, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwbball