Jan 28, 2017
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 56, Marymount 63
- Records: St. Mary's (6-13, 4-8 CAC), Marymount (15-4, 9-3 CAC)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. · Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball team put up 19 points in the fourth quarter and senior center Nina Haller (Chevy Chase, Md./Bethesda-Chevy Chase) swatted away a career-best eight shots to fuel a late Seahawk rally but St. Mary's came up short in a 63-56 loss to Marymount (Va.) University Saturday afternoon.
What It Means
- The Seahawks remain in the hunt for a Capital Athletic Conference playoff berth despite today's loss. St. Mary's currently sits seventh in the standings with three weeks left in conference play.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's won the first quarter, 20-18, as the Seahawks shot 80.0-percent from the floor, including 75.0-percent from downtown, to Marymount's 38.1-percent (20.0 3FG%). The home team jumped out to a 17-9 advantage before the Saints closed out the quarter on a 10-3 run.
- The Seahawks stayed ahead of Marymount early in the second but the Saints kept the hosts off the scoreboard for nearly six minutes until sophomore guard Katie Robey (Kensington, Md./Georgetown Visitation) ended the drought with one second on the clock. MU used an 8-2 push to close out the half and take a 32-28 lead into halftime.
- Haller notched eight rebounds, seven points, and five blocks to lead the Seahawks at intermission while Robey also had seven points at the break on 3-of-4 shooting.
- Marymount's defense held St. Mary's to just a pair of three-pointers in the third period as the Saints stretched their advantage to 15 points twice before heading into the final stanza with a 49-37 lead. MU converted 12 points off of eight Seahawk turnovers.
- The Seahawks continued fighting in the fourth as first-year guard Janey Mathisen's (Scituate, Mass./Notre Dame Academy) layup to open up the final 10 minutes sparked a 14-2 run to knot the game at 51-51 with 3:21 remaining in the game.
- Marymount responded with five straight points from first-year guard Regan Lohr (Monrovia, Md./Urbana) to rebuild a seven-point lead at 2:11. First-year guard Ashley Downs (Columbia, Md./Franklin) answered back with a triple to cut the lead to four with 1:06 left.
- The Saints went 5-of-6 at the line to seal the win.
Inside the Box Score
- Haller was two blocks shy of a triple-double as she wrapped up her seventh double-double of the season with 15 points and a game-best dozen rebounds plus a career-best eight blocks.
- Junior captain Kerri Kline (Hagerstown, Md./Saint James) finished the day with 12 points behind three triples while Robey chipped in a career-best nine points on a career-high four field goals made.
- St. Mary's will be on the road for its next conference tilt as the Seahawks travel to York College of Pennsylvania (14-5, 8-4 CAC) on Wednesday, February 1. Tip-off is 6:00 p.m. The Seahawks will look to split the season series with York after dropping a 77-50 decision at home on January 18.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMwbball, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwbball