Jan 18, 2017
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
- Score: St. Mary's 77, York 50
- Records: St. Mary's (5-11, 3-6 CAC), York (12-4, 6-3 CAC)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. · Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball team dropped a 77-50 Capital Athletic Conference decision to York College of Pennsylvania Wednesday night. Three Seahawks scored in double digits with senior center Nina Haller's (Chevy Chase, Md./Bethesda-Chevy Chase) 14 points leading the way.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's gave York a run for its money in the first quarter, jumping out to a 13-4 advantage behind four points each from Haller and sophomore forward Kobe Chaney (Edgewater, Md./South River). The Spartans flipped the script and closed the period on a 10-2 run to cut the deficit to one.
- Ten Seahawk miscues resulted in 12 points for York as well as a 39-28 halftime lead. Junior guard Katie Wagner (Glen Rock, Pa./Susquehannock) paced the Spartans in the quarter with nine points.
- Junior captain Kerri Kline (Hagerstown, Md./Saint James) was St. Mary's scoring leader in the first half with eight points while Chaney pulled down six boards.
- The Seahawks stayed close in the third but York stretched its lead to 16 heading into the fourth quarter.
- The Spartans posted another 25-point period and staked a 30-point lead with 2:22 remaining in the game after opening up the final quarter on an 18-4 run.
Inside the Box Score
- Haller paced the Seahawks with 14 points while contributing seven rebounds and three blocks.
- Kline put up 11 to go along with her two rebounds and two assists.
- Chaney rounded out the scoring with 10 in addition to a team-best eight boards and game-highs of four assists and three blocks.
- St. Mary's hopes to get back on track this Saturday, January 21 when the Seahawks travel to Penn State Harrisburg (3-13, 1-8 CAC) for a conference tilt at 1:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMwbball, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwbball