Jan 14, 2017
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 77, Southern Virginia 65
- Records: St. Mary's (5-10, 3-5 CAC), Southern Virginia (3-12, 0-8 CAC)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. · Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball team rained a season-best 10 three-pointers in posting a 77-65 Capital Athletic Conference win over Southern Virginia University. In addition, three starters scored in double digits for just the second time this as junior captain Olivia Nowlin (Glenelg, Md./Glenelg) led the way with a game- and season-best 16 points.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's connected on a season-best 28 field goals off of a season-high 19 assists as the Seahawks never trailed in this contest.
- The hosts had an impressive start to the game as the Seahawks jumped out to a 9-0 lead and used a pair of three-pointers by junior guard Christine Morin (Kensington, Md./St. John's College [D.C.]) in the final 2:55 of the first quarter to establish a 23-13 advantage. Nowlin also tallied six in the period.
- Southern Virginia countered with a 19-11 run in the second to cut the deficit to 34-32 on a layup by sophomore Kimberly Eads (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) with 1:58 left in the half.
- The Seahawks closed out the half on a 7-4 run behind triples by Morin and first-year guard Janey Mathisen (Scituate, Mass./Notre Dame Academy) to head into the locker room with a five-point lead at intermission.
- Morin paced all players at halftime with nine points as she was a perfect 3-of-3 from downtown while senior center Nina Haller (Chevy Chase, Md./Bethesda-Chevy Chase) grabbed eight rebounds.
- A 9-0 start to third quarter returned a double-digit advantage to St. Mary's, maintaining the double-figure lead until 19 seconds left when junior forward Jamilla Gambee (Junction City, Ore.) scored a basket to send the Knights into the fourth stanza down nine.
- Four points from junior Shelby Winsor (West Richland, Wash.) aided Southern Virginia in closing the gap to 65-59 at 5:19 but the Knights would get no closer as St. Mary's rolled to its third conference win of the season.
Inside the Box Score
- Nowlin drained a pair of threes in notching her game- and season-best 16 points while adding a season-high three assists.
- Haller picked up her fifth double-double of the season on 14 points and a game-best 14 rebounds while contributing a season-best six blocks and two steals.
- Morin and junior captain Kerri Kline (Hagerstown, Md./Saint James) both finished with 11 points, which was a career-high for Morin. Morin's three triples in the game is also a career-best.
- St. Mary's will seek to continue its winning ways on Wednesday, January 18 when the Seahawks host York College of Pennsylvania (11-4, 5-3 CAC) in the Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena. The women will open up the CAC doubleheader at 6:00 p.m. followed by the men at 8:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMwbball, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwbball