Jan 04, 2017
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
- Score: St. Mary's 54, Frostburg State 61
- Records: St. Mary's (3-9, 1-4 CAC), Frostburg State (5-7, 3-2 CAC)
- Location: Frostburg, Md.
- The Short Story: Senior center Nina Haller (Chevy Chase, Md./Bethesda-Chevy Chase) recorded her third double-double of the season Wednesday night as the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball team dropped a 61-54 Capital Athletic Conference decision at Frostburg State University.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's scored the first basket of the game but the Bobcats took the first quarter, 17-4, after posting a 17-2 run behind six points off the bench from sophomore forward Megan Kelly (Mt. Airy, Md./Linganore).
- The Seahawks' offense began to find their rhythm in the second period but found themselves down 34-17 at halftime as Frostburg State collected 12 points off 16 turnovers.
- Haller paced the team at intermission with six points while sophomore forward Kobe Chaney (Edgewater, Md./South River) gave St. Mary's 26-20 rebounding edge with 10 boards.
- St. Mary's gained control in the third stanza, outscoring the hosts by a 20-9 margin to cut the deficit to 43-37 at the end of three quarters. Haller led the way with eight points in five minutes on 4-of-6 shooting.
- A layup by junior captain Kerri Kline (Hagerstown, Md./Saint James) pulled the Seahawks within five with 5:47 remaining in the game. Frostburg would build up 10-point leads twice before holding on for the seven-point victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Haller's third double-double of the season consisted of a game-best 21 points and 11 rebounds while adding two blocks.
- Chaney finished the contest with a season-high 15 boards while tallying four points, two assists, and two steals.
- Guards Katie Robey (Kensington, Md./Georgetown Visitation) and Olivia Nowlin (Glenelg, Md./Glenelg) contributed career-bests with eight assists and two blocks, respectively.
- First-year forward Christine McKee (Frederick, Md./Urbana) helped St. Mary's post a 49-39 rebounding margin for the game with a season-high seven caroms.
- St. Mary's will look to get back in the win column this Saturday, January 7 when the Seahawks travel to Dover, Delaware to take on Wesley College (5-7, 1-4 CAC) in the first half of a CAC doubleheader. Tip-off is at 1:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMwbball
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwbball