Dec 21, 2016
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
- Score: St. Mary's 47, Grove City 58
- Records: St. Mary's (3-8), Grove City (5-4)
- Location: San Juan, P.R. · Coliseo Roberto Clemente
- The Short Story: The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball team connected on seven field goals in the fourth quarter but the comeback attempt came up short in a 58-47 non-conference loss to Grove City College Wednesday morning. Senior center Nina Haller (Chevy Chase, Md./Bethesda-Chevy Chase) led the way with 13 points in the Seahawks' final game in the Puerto Rico Clasico.
How It Happened
- The first quarter was one of runs as Grove City claimed the first lead with a 4-0 start before the Seahawks responded with a 9-0 run. The Wolverines countered with an 8-0 push to retake the lead but St. Mary's ended the period by outscoring its foe, 5-2, on a triple from junior guard Christine Morin (Kensington, Md./St. John's [D.C.]) and a Haller jumper to tie the game at 14-all.
- After junior guard Lexie Arkwright (Mercer, Pa.) put GCC up by three, Morin and first-year forward Ashley Downs (Columbia, Md./Franklin) came off the bench to give the Seahawks their final lead of the game. Grove City scored the final seven points of the second quarter to take a 25-21 lead into halftime.
- Haller shared halftime scoring honors with Arkwright as both players tallied nine to lead all scorers while sophomore forward Kobe Chaney (Edgewater, Md./South River) pulled down six boards.
- It was all Grove City in the third as the Wolverines went on a 24-5 run to stake a commanding 23-point lead. The Seahawks shooting took a hit, falling from 40-percent in the first to 16.7-percent.
- St. Mary's ramped it up in the fourth, connecting on 43.8-percent of its shots, and making 6-of-7 free throws in outscoring the Wolverines, 21-9. Using nine points off of five turnovers, the Seahawks pulled within 11 but could get no closer.
Inside the Box Score
- Haller put up 13 points on 5-of-9 shooting, grabbed seven rebounds, and two blocks while junior captain Kerri Kline (Hagerstown, Md./Saint James) added 10 points, four assists, two boards, and two steals.
- Chaney recorded her fifth double-digit rebounding effort of the season with game-best 10 caroms while chipping in seven points and three blocks.
- St. Mary's will now enjoy a nice holiday break before returning to Capital Athletic Conference action on Wednesday, January 4 at Frostburg State University (4-6, 2-2 CAC). Tip-off is 6:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwbball